LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANYONE KNOW WHY THE ENGINE IN MY RIDE WOULD BE GETTING HOT? IT DOESNT HAVE A THERMOSTAT, SO THATS OUT THE WINDOW. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT???? HAS COOLANT AND NEW WATER PUMP, REBUILT MOTOR....ANYONE?

·
Registered
127 Posts
you should put in a thermostat, especially if your car is computer controlled. even if it wouldnt overheat without one youll have other problems like a too-rich fuel mixture or not warm enough heater.

but if its over heating without one you have maybe a bad radiator or a cracked/blown head gasket.

good luck

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, thermostat keeps the water in the radiator long enough to be cooled down. Even when it is fully open it acts as a restrictor to keep the coolant in the radiator to cool.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Out of all the cars that come through the shop 90% of them have a bad cap....... the rest are fan clutch, if it has one. fan shourd. timing are ust some of the things to check

·
Registered
45 Posts
remove and have radiator cleaned at a radiator shop. if it's a real bad clog to even the over the counter flush stuff at the autoparts store will work. have the radiator cleaned in acid. a bad fan clutch makes funky noise or the fan blad can be held with a glove when the engine is on (but don't try this). maybe your old 283 doesn't even have a fan clutch cause mine doesn't, not all had fan clucth

·
Registered
13,129 Posts
GIVE ME A CALL ALBERT TONIGHT WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE....

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Twiins@Oct 15 2007, 08:12 PM~9009762
Out of all the cars that come through the shop 90% of them have a bad cap....... the rest are fan clutch, if it has one. fan shourd. timing are ust some of the things to check
thanks, to everyone...thats what i was told it may be cause its a new cap. Engine was rebuilt, heads were rebuilt. new water pump, new intake manifold, new cap and rotor. i think i really need to get the timing checked....i got a timing light, but not sure where it should mark for the timing to be right...i think its a 4 degrees right now. :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts