LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time in reverse or drive i accelerate (when the engine's pushing for power) i hear a clicking, tapping noise from under the hood, as if something's hitting against something out, but i know it's not... i'm guessing what i'm hearing is the strokes of the pistons... that there must be a hole somewhere, but in what?

It's not when i rev the engine up in park or neutral, or when i'm maintaining speeds... it's only when i am picking up speed, and the more i accelerate the louder it gets.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just a few of suggestions:

It sounds as if it could be pinking (not sure if you call it that over there in the USA), or detonation. It is where the fuel mixture is igniting before it should do. There are many things that can cause it, but incorrect ignition timing is a common one. If the engine is running too hot for reasons other than incorrect timing, it can cause detonation. That would explain why it sounds in time with the pistons and also why it only does it when the car is accelerating. If it is detonation, you may find that it stops or reduces if you ease off on the accelerator a bit when accelerating. Just an idea :) .

Another suggestion is a blown exhaust manifold (header) gasket.

If your car has a cambelt (timing belt, drive belt from the crankshaft to the camshaft - not sure what you call it over there :biggrin:) make sure that it isn't worn and breaking up, with a flap of material hitting the inside of its cover. if the belt breaks it will do a lot of damage.

:)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My car was doing that at one time and i asked someone about it they told me to use the carb/injector cleaner stuff called"heet" it is in or around all the stp stuff i used it and it stopped and hasnt done it sense just a idea worked for me

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
i agree with both M-827 and LOC501 it could be a valve ticking due to it needing an adjustment or a lifter collapsing.

or it could be pinking, if your timing is set right try a higher octane gas :cool:

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
In my 78, I found a clicking coming from a valve by the headers/exhaust was stuck open. The valve is supposed to help the car warm up better. I never had it fixed because the chances of breaking the pins holding it were too high and would make it more expensive.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** You need to figure out whre the noise is coming from in order to tell what it could be ........ IT could be a rod knock or it could be your fan hitting on something--- you never know .... You need to take a small / thin piece of tubing or pipe & hold it to a certain areas on your engine.... You will be able to here what is making noises inside... Listen on the valve covers for a tick( A lifter tho should always tick no matter if under accleration or not ) listen to the timing chain cover , then on the engine block by each cylinder-- you should have another person do the throttle for you .... make sure do it ----"CAREFULLY" ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Nov 14 2003, 01:02 AM
In my 78, I found a clicking coming from a valve by the headers/exhaust was stuck open. The valve is supposed to help the car warm up better. I never had it fixed because the chances of breaking the pins holding it were too high and would make it more expensive.

K. Diaz
A valve that is stuck -- Is a Problem.......... Who told you that it was supposed to help the engine warm up ???? I think that they just didnt want to work on your car ..... What kind of engine are you talking about?? PINS???? There is no pins that hold on a valve ... You have a valve guides , valves, locks , retainers, & springs......... i am lost with what you are saying ---- None of it makes sense.... Im confused ..... Can you explain it for us please??/ Thanks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ+Nov 14 2003, 05:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (STREET SWEEPAZ @ Nov 14 2003, 05:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BigPoppa@Nov 14 2003, 01:02 AM
In my 78, I found a clicking coming from a valve by the headers/exhaust was stuck open.  The valve is supposed to help the car warm up better.  I never had it fixed because the chances of breaking the pins holding it were too high and would make it more expensive.

K. Diaz
A valve that is stuck -- Is a Problem.......... Who told you that it was supposed to help the engine warm up ???? I think that they just didnt want to work on your car ..... What kind of engine are you talking about?? PINS???? There is no pins that hold on a valve ... You have a valve guides , valves, locks , retainers, & springs......... i am lost with what you are saying ---- None of it makes sense.... Im confused ..... Can you explain it for us please??/ Thanks.[/b][/quote]
i think he was talking about a thermostatic (spell check) air valve. also know as a heat riser valve. not an intake or exhaust valve

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
hey i got this problem it just happened recently i was driving my daily and i slowed down beccause a car in front of me was turning when i hit the gas like it lost power the front jumped it wouldnt change gears untill i let go of the gas and hit it again my car then stared to shake and it the exausht was making noise i got home and saw that my catalyic conveter (sp) was really red like when you burn metall at a certain temp and you could bend i want to know what could be . or any suggestion on what to do

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by dough916+Nov 14 2003, 09:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dough916 @ Nov 14 2003, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -STREET [email protected] 14 2003, 05:41 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--BigPoppa
@Nov 14 2003, 01:02 AM
In my 78, I found a clicking coming from a valve by the headers/exhaust was stuck open.  The valve is supposed to help the car warm up better.  I never had it fixed because the chances of breaking the pins holding it were too high and would make it more expensive.

K. Diaz

A valve that is stuck -- Is a Problem.......... Who told you that it was supposed to help the engine warm up ???? I think that they just didnt want to work on your car ..... What kind of engine are you talking about?? PINS???? There is no pins that hold on a valve ... You have a valve guides , valves, locks , retainers, & springs......... i am lost with what you are saying ---- None of it makes sense.... Im confused ..... Can you explain it for us please??/ Thanks.
i think he was talking about a thermostatic (spell check) air valve. also know as a heat riser valve. not an intake or exhaust valve[/b][/quote]
exactly, thanks. I'm no engine guru, but someone else understood.

K. Diaz

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Could be the fan hitting the shroud when the engine lifts [it lifts when you accelerate even more if it has a bad engine mount on one side] Or ,you COULD have a cracked flywheel or the balancer may be bad.I doubt its a valve if it doesnt do it in park.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts