LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without turbocharging it ( :) ) or getting nitrous injection or anything, is there anything i can do to increase the power of the engine of my 1980 fleetwood brougham? it's a 368 6.0 L V8, and when i get to about 40 MPH it runs perfectly, but between 0-40 MPH i've pretty much got to floor it to get it to move... what can i do to increase the power of the engine? i know it's a heavy car, but there's got to be something i can do to it. i know a lot of you guys here are very good with that kind of thing, since you have cadillacs yourselves... do you have any suggestions? or is it just something i need to live with?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah good try, but i just spend $550.00 on a major tuneup 2 months ago, where they replaced everything from spark plug cables to rotor.

what exactly is a "cam", how expensive are they, etc.?

·
Registered
558 Posts
$550.00 FOR A TUNE UP?WTF?????? WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST DO IT YOURSELF AND ONLY USE $50.00 OF THAT? TRUST ME SPARK PLUG WIRES AND ROTOR CAP AND ALL THE OTHER SHIT ARE WHAT A TUNE UP IS, SO I DONT KNOW WHY YOUR CALLING THAT A "MAJOR" TUNE UP. YOU GOT RIPPED OFF!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by impala_631@Jun 21 2003, 01:06 PM
it is a camshaft-you can get them for around 100-150 bucks :biggrin:
the cams are not terribly expensive but you do have to disassemble half your motor to get to it
:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by MI$TA LAZY@Jun 21 2003, 11:22 AM
TRUST ME SPARK PLUG WIRES AND ROTOR CAP AND ALL THE OTHER SHIT ARE WHAT A TUNE UP IS, SO I DONT KNOW WHY YOUR CALLING THAT A "MAJOR" TUNE UP. YOU GOT RIPPED OFF!!!!!!
no smartass, i said "major" tuneup... they replaced the alternator, starter, plugs, rotor, cables, brake lines, battery lines, and it included an oil change, brake check, timing check, trasnmission pan replacement (it was broken), all three drive belts (fan, alternator, etc.) AND they cleaned the outside of the engine, which really needed doing, and i didn't want to do that myself, because they had to take a lot of the stuff out to get to it.

the "minor" tuneups just check timing, and replace plugs and maybe rotor. there's a difference between the two.

but yeah, you are right to an extent, i should've done most of that myself :(

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
No luck at JC Whitney, they only have them for your years in a V6. Im sure theres one some where. Just ask someone if they kno what to get. You need bottom end torque to get that big guy rolling.

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
get the heads shaved. put a better carb on there. put some better exhaust, and a stronger coil. that should help, dont over do it with the heads, or you will need something stronger than ordinary pump gas.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Hey stealth, is that the same car you had your mechanic try to fit a simple edelbrock to? Bro, you cant short-cut horsepower. You can do alot of things to make it go better, but you gonna pay out the pocket. To get her to go faster, she needs to make low end torque. Ya know that shit you get when you floor the pedal, hear the roar, and your neck snaps the fuk back. yeah, thats it. That 6.0 needs to breath. New intake/carb setup, camshaft, and headers with dual exhaust. And if they dont make it for that engine then your SOL. Better get a SBC or a BBC.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts