LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed my spark plugs and wires and it feels like my engine is riding rougher, vehicle shakes at idle in park and when i accelerate, all the wires ARE hook up to the right coils, and the plugs are the right plugs, does anyone know what it could be??? im not sure at all what it is, the car rides fine, but it annoyes me i wanna know what it is....... thanks

Mike

·
49,409 Posts
1 of many things......

my first guesses would be

1) - fouled spark plug
2) - Faulty spark plug
3) - Wrong gap on spark plugs
4) - Spark plug wires hooked up incorrectly, sounds goofy but happens.
5) - Need to check dwell/timing

Start here...it's the basics
L8

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 1 LO 64@Nov 4 2003, 06:20 PM
1 of many things......

1) - fouled spark plug
2) - Faulty spark plug

L8
how do i know if the spark plug is fouled or faulty? and also how do i check the gap? i got the right spark plugs i know that the wires ARE hooked up right i double checked, the first time they werent and my car cut out when i put it in gear and i fixed that. and what u mean by dwell/timing???

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 1 LO 64@Nov 4 2003, 10:20 PM
1 of many things......

1) - fouled spark plug
2) - Faulty spark plug

L8
wires should be one
gaps should be two :)

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by FlipFlopBox+Nov 4 2003, 11:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlipFlopBox @ Nov 4 2003, 11:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--1 LO 64@Nov 4 2003, 06:20 PM
1 of many things......

1) - fouled spark plug
2) - Faulty spark plug

L8
how do i know if the spark plug is fouled or faulty? and also how do i check the gap? i got the right spark plugs i know that the wires ARE hooked up right i double checked, the first time they werent and my car cut out when i put it in gear and i fixed that. and what u mean by dwell/timing???[/b][/quote]
You need to find out if you have points setup......take it to a shop, they have equipment for you..Probably cost you $20

L8

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what do you mean by points??? ill have the shop look at it tomorrow on my lunch break, i work at oil experts and auto experts is next door ill go talk to luther the manager and have him check it out for me.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Originally posted by FlipFlopBox@Nov 5 2003, 06:07 PM
what do you mean by points??? ill have the shop look at it tomorrow on my lunch break, i work at oil experts and auto experts is next door ill go talk to luther the manager and have him check it out for me.

Thanks

Mike
if you're having these problems on the 82 caprice in your signature then points cannot be the problem because they stopped using those in 1973. GM went to HEI ignition in 74.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i know its a hei well now i know a total of two things that ARENT the problem

1. points
2. wires hooked up wrong

put why could it be possible i have the wrong gaps if i have the correct spark plugs???

·
Registered
95 Posts
go to a autoparts store they will tell you the gap size for your ride, just buy the gap tool and redo the plugs, make sure your wires are tied away from the block.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i got a hei distributer cap (w/ coil) if that turns out to be the prob.. if not, duece is right, and a plug gapper would cost ya every bit of 2 bucks.. and to answer your question, (how could the gap be wrong if i bought the right plugs) the right plugs basically means its the right size and produces the right amount of fire for your car, but you have to gap every set you buy.. be easy man. good luck.

·
Registered
998 Posts
p.s. buy the distributer any way.. its bound to fuck up sooner or later.. who knows.. 15 er 20 years down the road.. you might just be lookin back sayin.. damn i wish i woulda bought that.. lol

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
yea, I would say it's the gap size too...go to autozone, they have gap tools for 99 cents.

where on the southside you at?

·
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by FlipFlopBox@Nov 6 2003, 02:32 AM
yeah i know its a hei well now i know a total of two things that ARENT the problem

1. points
2. wires hooked up wrong

put why could it be possible i have the wrong gaps if i have the correct spark plugs???
Your Gap is probably 35 or close to it. Regardless what it is.....let us know when you find out....

Just because you have HEI doesn't me they don't have problems.....I had one that missed constantly.....if thats the case

Check -

The cap for cracks..take the cap off and look inside on the gold terminals, if you're missfiring, one of them will be black.

Check the coil....you will need to ohm it out to make sure it's good.

L8

1 - 14 of 14 Posts