LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys if ya can help or have any suggestions .....PLEASSEEEE....let me know.
OK...now on my 94 fleetwood....when in park the car revs and teh engine runs perfect. Starts just fine ..no issues there either.
OK......now in the last couple of days it has been idling harder...and now today when ever I put her in drive and press on the gas she stutters....."pops"....(sorta like backfiring)...and will then die. IF you put her in drive and press on the gas she stutters and dies but if you take your foot off the gas she revs right back up. Put her back in park.....presto normal idling and guns perfect.

Any ideas guys?....... SHe is lifted and has been hopped but was driving fine right after hopping her over a week ago.

thanks for your time..Ro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 64_EC_STYLE@Sep 20 2006, 09:47 PM~6213192
check ur fuel filter.....i would start there... ;)
The fuel filter is on the rear frame rail (If I am not mistaken)so that is an easy start ..........thanks bro.
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light? Either way, if the car died, there should be a trouble code stored that would help you out. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Sep 21 2006, 02:43 PM~6217778
Are you getting a check engine light?  Either way, if the car died, there should be a trouble code stored that would help you out. ;)
Hey bro....NO check engine light at all. And when I started her this morning she ran fine.:dunno:........I have been researching the codes though and will attempt that tomorrow sometime for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks guys.....for all your input..... and the results are in......
BAD plug wires....only three clyinders firing out of 8.......DUH....my stupidity on this one. Now I did check the pressure on the fuel pump and we are looking at 40 instead of 46 but I would say it is mainly the plugwires.
Now I have removed and installed hydros on two of these 93-94 Fleetwoods so I am becoming more familiar with them but I have been told and read that changing the plugs and wires can be a nightmare....is this true?

Thanks again guys....Ro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Yeah, the wires aren't fun on the LT1. Not the worst job ever, though. Go through the wheel wells with the tires off for good access to some of them. Do plugs at the same time (ACs or NGKs). Replace the coil wire, too!
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by jayoldschool@Sep 21 2006, 05:10 PM~6219810
Yeah, the wires aren't fun on the LT1.  Not the worst job ever, though.  Go through the wheel wells with the tires off for good access to some of them. Do plugs at the same time (ACs or NGKs).  Replace the coil wire, too!
x2

A tip: When I do the plugs through the wheel wells, I use a 36" wobble extension. It may be "overkill," but believe me, it's a lot easier than trying to squeeze up in there with a regular old 2" extension. ;)
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by mr box@Sep 25 2006, 01:02 PM~6240963
not fun to change the plugs :angry:
It's not that bad if you jack the car up, remove the wheels, and use an extension. Sure, it's extra bit of work, but not too bad. Honestly, I think that route is easier than doing the #6 plug in my Regal, butted up against the HVAC unit. :angry: Changing the wires on the Fleetwood is a lot more difficult than a plug swap though. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Sep 25 2006, 05:07 PM~6241007
It's not that bad if you jack the car up, remove the wheels, and use an extension. Sure, it's extra bit of work, but not too bad.  Honestly, I think that route is easier than doing the #6 plug in my Regal, butted up against the HVAC unit.  :angry:  Changing the wires on the Fleetwood is a lot more difficult than a plug swap though. ;)
Can you elaborate on teh wire change difficulty bro?......
I am going first thing in the morning and grabbing the plugs and wires was going to try and get it done tomorrow. I called all the shops here bro and they all said like $350-400 ON LABOR ALONE!! I am going to attmept it myself. Anytips?...

thanks bro....Ro
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by Roma@Sep 27 2006, 08:08 PM~6259722
Can you elaborate on teh wire change difficulty bro?......
I am going first thing in the morning and grabbing the plugs and wires was going to try and get it done tomorrow. I called all the shops here bro and they all said like $350-400 ON LABOR ALONE!! I am going to attmept it myself. Anytips?...

thanks bro....Ro
Patience is key. ;) Do like I said with the plugs: go through the wheel wells. For routing your wires, use something like a section of stiff mechanics wire or even a wire hanger. Make a loop around the wire ends and fish them through the twisties. It's tight in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey bvro...well I got it done......not near as hard as I thought it would be.....BUT....it is doing the same thing.
I pulled it out of the drive way...shot up the street.....ALOT more power :biggrin: BUt after about three blocks (once it warmed up) I started to gun it and it chugged and died. I started it......and gave it just a little bit of gas and it slowly creeped forward. I increased the gas chugged and died.

I am at a loss here guys......thanks for ANY help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,655 Posts
my car hesitates off the line sometimes...like its not gettin enough fuel.i havent changed the fuel filter yet but i will soon.Im also thinkin the choke has something to do with it cause when the car is cold it has more power than when it warms up.
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by monsterpuff@Oct 2 2006, 09:54 PM~6293236
my car hesitates off the line sometimes...like its not gettin enough fuel.i havent changed the fuel filter yet but i will soon.Im also thinkin the choke has something to do with it cause when the car is cold it has more power than when it warms up.
You put a choke on a fuel injected car? :scrutinize:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Sep 25 2006, 04:07 PM~6241007
It's not that bad if you jack the car up, remove the wheels, and use an extension. Sure, it's extra bit of work, but not too bad.  Honestly, I think that route is easier than doing the #6 plug in my Regal, butted up against the HVAC unit.  :angry:  Changing the wires on the Fleetwood is a lot more difficult than a plug swap though. ;)
well, theres an easy solution to that...
remove the HVAC.. duhhhhh :biggrin: :biggrin:

(well, thats what i did, im planning on picking up an under-dash unit)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,655 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Oct 3 2006, 05:39 AM~6294664
You put a choke on a fuel injected car? :scrutinize:
iits throttle body injected i guess it doesnt have a choke...i dunno anything about fuel systems
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top