LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to swap ot the stock 229 v6 in my 84 monte. I would like to put a 350 in it. I need to know if I can rebuild an old 350 out of another car without needing to use the computer from the old car. I am trying to simplfy the setup under the hood and don't want to mess with all that stuff? SSo if I have to do that I will probably go with a crate motor.

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
you can take any v8 from the 80's and it wouldn't be computer controlled.......you can make anysmall block chev any way you want

Last edited by Chris at Sep 4 2003, 08:08 AM

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You could use just about any chevy 350 block but you will have to get older (than 80's)or aftermarket parts. on most late 70's and later cars they started adding computer controlled (c-4, ccc) distributors and carbs. but it is not hard to find non computer controlled parts at all!

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
v8's never really became run by computers till they brought in the tpi engines.......all v8's that were carburated were not computer controlled.......only the v6's had computer shit all over them..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
YOU CAN GET A COMPUTER CONTROLLED V8 AND SWAP IT IN , JUST TAKE ALL THE COMPUTER CONTROLLED STUFF OFF. TAKE OFF THE CARB DISTRIBUTOR AND EMISSION CONTROLLS AND REPLACE THEM WITH AFTERMARKET CARB AND DISTRIBUTOR FROM A 79 OR OLDER 350.AND JUNKYARD PARTS WORK TOO.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you want to have a basic setup 350 in a monte. id look for any chevy small block in a junk yard and keep it basic.You can set it up to pass emiss and all that shi$ . you need the motor,the exaust, and maybe a ratiator.. Its easy just use a old style dist.and scrap your computer . use any 2 or 4bbl carb but keep it basic and it will be eazy ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Im sorry i left sonetin out . I ment to go to a junkyard and see how its hooked up . I d hope you would get a nice motor.and it could be out of anything.and you get your motor mounts from wherever you want . if you see a monty w a 350 then youll have all the info you need.I wish you luck take your time it will be worth it

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
you will prob have 2 get a transmission crossmember from a v8 monte and drive shaft we did this to a monte it was fairly strightforward install if ya got ALL the parts first :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts