LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car needs to pass emmisions, now I took it to a shop to have it tested, and was told the #5 cylinder is going for the ride - in other words it's dead. could I possibly change the control module to correct this? or what do you recommend.

btw it's a cadillac w/ a 425 motor

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
two days later with no reply?!?!

YOU SUCK! :angry:

·
Registered
989 Posts
does the engine run shitty? it might be a bitch but i would take off the head and check the cylinder for skars that would kill compresion or maybe even a hole in the piston....or it may just be somthing electrical wich is out of my league so i dont know what to tell you

·
Registered
107 Posts
If #5 is the only one going out... I would say your looking at a scarred cylinder, bad rings, or a valve issue/head issue. Did they run a compression test on it? If it is within tolerance may just want to run it or you can tear into it to find the issue. A module control all the cylinders/engine to adjust fuel/air mixture as well as other things.

But, if your taking a car to a shop to be worked on, then you may be looking at a few bills to find and resolve the issue. Now, the rest of us backyard/weekend mechanics would just take the 3 hours to pull the head and find out what is going on. But, this still cost about $40 for new intake and head gaskets. While it is off you can have the head miced and valves checked at the machine shop usually for free.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Dvlshtndcy@Sep 20 2003, 09:25 AM
If #5 is the only one going out... I would say your looking at a scarred cylinder, bad rings, or a valve issue/head issue. Did they run a compression test on it? If it is within tolerance may just want to run it or you can tear into it to find the issue. A module control all the cylinders/engine to adjust fuel/air mixture as well as other things.

But, if your taking a car to a shop to be worked on, then you may be looking at a few bills to find and resolve the issue. Now, the rest of us backyard/weekend mechanics would just take the 3 hours to pull the head and find out what is going on. But, this still cost about $40 for new intake and head gaskets. While it is off you can have the head miced and valves checked at the machine shop usually for free.
sounds good

I just need to know a GOOD weekend mechanic here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts