LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble choosing a epoxy primer, I am on a tight budget. I am currently leaning toward the Kustom Shop Epoxy, because the reducers are half the price of PPG. And since I can use it as a sealer by adding reducer, that would save me some cash down the road. Help me out!!!! :biggrin: I have some experience using the PPG line, but just want to see whats out there for the price.

Prices are with taxes included.

PPG Epoxy - $210 for Kit with Student Discount
DPLF Epoxy Primer mixed 2:1 with DP401LF or DP402LF Catalyst provides an excellent corrosion–resistant primer. This primer provides excellent adhesion to many types of properly prepared metal, fiberglass and aluminum substrates, as well as plastic fillers. DPLF Epoxy Primer may also be used as a sealer and topcoated with most PPG Refinish products.

Kustom Shop Epoxy - $125 for Kit
An excellent corrosion resistant primer that offers optimum adhesion and superior hide to many types of properly prepared metal, aluminum, fiberglass and plastic filling materials. DTM Epoxy Prime / Seal, is easy to sand and topcoat with all current base coats. It can be used as a sealer and applied wet-on-wet when reduced with KR Reducers. DTM Epoxy Prime / Seal is chromate free.

HOK KD2000 Primer - $150 for Kit

Direct to Metal Primer has been formulated with a hybrid of epoxy and acrylic polymers, which provide excellent adhesion, good corrosion resistance, flexibility, productive dry times, and ease of sanding. These primers emit very low amounts of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), Hazardous Air Polluting Solvents (HAPS), and contain no isocyanates (CA compliant primer). KD2000 may be applied to properly cleaned and sanded aluminum, steel, galvanized steel, OE finishes, sand blasted steel, fiberglass and SMC.

SEM Metalock Direct-to-Metal High Build Primer Kit - $120 for Kit
ML010 METALOCK is a true direct-to-metal epoxy primer designed for metal, aluminum, SMC and fiberglass. ML010 utilizes the latest technology to provide superior adhesion, outstanding corrosion protection and exceptional sanding properties creating a solid and dependable foundation for any project.

Also if I choose Kustom Shop, would this primer surfacer be any good?

KPP POLYESTER PRIMER SURFACER is a corrosion-resistant, sanding primer surfacer based on an air-drying polyester resin. The pigmentation is carefully balanced for optimum sanding properties. It is fast drying and has excellent filling properties and adhesion over fiberglass, metal, plastic and wood. Can be topcoated with all types of finishes, acrylics, lacquers, synthetic enamels and two-component urethane coatings.

Any help is greatly appreciated :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
i have and used the kustom shop epoxy primer and i like it :cool:

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Originally posted by elchamuko@Jan 15 2009, 10:57 PM~12720435
:cool: , what do you use for your surfacer primer?

its a DTM (direct to metal)

i gotta get some 2k still to put on top of it

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by zfelix@Jan 15 2009, 11:15 PM~12720525
its a DTM (direct to metal)

i gotta get some 2k still to put on top of it
Does it make a difference changing brands for the 2k primer?

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Originally posted by elchamuko@Jan 15 2009, 11:18 PM~12720546
Does it make a difference changing brands for the 2k primer?

not at all

i mean its always best to stick with products but if theres a certain primer u like out there then there should be no problem

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by zfelix@Jan 15 2009, 11:24 PM~12720580
not at all
i mean its always best to stick with products but if theres a certain primer u like out there then there should be no problem

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. :biggrin: Probably going to pick up the Kustom Shop Epoxy Kit tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Originally posted by elchamuko@Jan 15 2009, 11:27 PM~12720595
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.  :biggrin: Probably going to pick up the Kustom Shop Epoxy Kit tomorrow.

there good people tell them zack the kid from vegas said whats up

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Hoss805@Jan 16 2009, 12:22 AM~12720837
SPI epoxy is the best shit i've used,
dp90 from ppg was real good until they added the LF (LEAD FREE)

try this stuff, true 1:1 Epoxy

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm

I will keep that in mind for a future project, but I need this for this weekend. So Kustom Shop is my choice. Thanks for the advice :biggrin: .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts