LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1980 cadillac (fleetwood brougham)... i recently (two hours ago) got a new "level ride" switch put in (it's never worked, since i got the cadillac) and adjusted. now the compressor kicks on for about 10 seconds when i start the car, but every minute or so it kicks on for about 5 seconds. i thought perhaps the air shocks are leaking air, but when i open the hood (with the engine off and ignition on) i hear air leaking out of the place where the air line connects to the compressor... what can i do to seal this? should i use silicon or something?

Also, i'm going to need (according to a lot of people) new air shocks SOON, because mine are almost completely worn out. where's a good place to get them? i can't just get the ones they have at Autozone, because those only have one air line connecting to each, and mine have two lines going in (one for inflate and one for deflate i guess)...

i'd like to find a pair of these shocks in good or new condition, anyone know where i should look?

·
Registered
489 Posts
yo, didn't i say before to just go to pep boys, get a pair of Gabriel air shocks bolt them in run an air like with a valve and be fuckin done with it?

youve been driving your self crazy trying to get that shit to work, and when it does work good, the switch and shocks and nothing leaking.... that 20+ year old compressor is gonna die out on you and your asss is gonna be draggin.

keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i WOULD do that, i really would, but all the shocks i've seen only have one little connection on them, to inflate (and i guess deflate)... but my air shocks (stock) have two, one for inflate and one for deflate. so everything happens automatically. if i could hook up a switch under my dash to inflate/deflate the shocks i would, so i can turn the compressor ON, to inflate them, but how do i deflate them? if i can do it all from in my seat, then i'll do it tomorrow!

Also, could i hook these Gabriel air shocks to my stock compressor?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
you could do that, but you would need a small 12V valve to dump, it'd be just like a regular 3 prong switch..
up-neutral-down

I'll look and see if I can find a small valve on eBay, I need one for my air horn anyway...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
216 Rider: exactly what does that thing do? i was thinking i could hook up like a window switch to them...

I was actually looking under my car a few hours ago... the left shock has two ports in it... the air line from the comprssor goes in, and then there's one coming out of the shock (right below the compressor line going in) that goes to the second (right) shock.

now i was also thinking... the switch (above the differential) obviously gives the compressor the signal to release the air, as well as inflate... so i could just find out which wires do that, and hook it up, right?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts

the valve there on eBay is kinda overkill, but if you decide to add a small tank, it'll still work with just a simple replumbing... always gotta plan for the future...

so basically, just figure out which wire turns the compressor on, run a switched power to it, and run switched power to the valve for drop...

I'd run from the same lines, and just plug up the extra holes in your stock shocks..

or just buy real air shocks...

either way will work..

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Get juice.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
but instead of getting that fancy switch, couldn't i just hook it up to an window switch that i can pull out of some car in the junkyard?

Actually, i'm going to go buy air shocks from Autozone or Pep boys (autozone's closer for me) very soon (in the next week)... what must i tell them so they can give me the ones that will fit in my car with out modifying the shocks or anything (ones that will just bolt right on).

also, can i use the stock compressor still? will it be powerful enough to inflate the after-market air shocks?

and the main problem is that there's a leak somewhere in the line... i don't know where

Last edited by Stealth at Oct 19 2003, 10:00 AM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
the air shocks come with a line kit, but you'll need fittings and shit I'm sure..

you should be able to tell them the year and make of the car, and they'll get you the right shocks.. even if you tell them the car did not come with factory air ride..

I'm not sure what PSI the stock compressor goes to, but most air shocks dont need much more than 110 PSI to reach max lift anyway...

you can use whatever kind of switch you want really..

I'd swap out the line and fittings that come with the shocks and get some 1/4" lines though, although I'm not sure what the compressor outlet looks like, and what that will involve..

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Oct 15 2003, 06:50 PM
i have a 1980 cadillac (fleetwood brougham)... i recently (two hours ago) got a new "level ride" switch put in (it's never worked, since i got the cadillac) and adjusted.  now the compressor kicks on for about 10 seconds when i start the car, but every minute or so it kicks on for about 5 seconds.  i thought perhaps the air shocks are leaking air, but when i open the hood (with the engine off and ignition on) i hear air leaking out of the place where the air line connects to the compressor... what can i do to seal this?  should i use silicon or something?

Also, i'm going to need (according to a lot of people) new air shocks SOON, because mine are almost completely worn out.  where's a good place to get them?  i can't just get the ones they have at Autozone, because those only have one air line connecting to each, and mine have two lines going in (one for inflate and one for deflate i guess)...

i'd like to find a pair of these shocks in good or new condition, anyone know where i should look?
spray soapy water on the line and fitting that goes to the compressor (try not to get the compressor wet) look for bubbles

when you hear the leak the air you hear could be the relief valve on the compressor thats normal when you shut the car off so you could have leaky shocks

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth@Oct 18 2003, 04:58 PM
216 Rider:  exactly what does that thing do?   i was thinking i could hook up like a window switch to them...

I was actually looking under my car a few hours ago... the left shock has two ports in it... the air line from the comprssor goes in, and then there's one coming out of the shock (right below the compressor line going in) that goes to the second (right) shock.  

now i was also thinking... the switch (above the differential) obviously gives the compressor the signal to release the air, as well as inflate... so i could just find out which wires do that, and hook it up, right?
as far as the shocks there is only one line that runs from the compressor to the shocks.it first goes to your left shock thats one of the ports then from the other port on that shock it goes to the right shock. monroe shocks do make shocks like the stock ones with two ports on one and one port on the other but they are not cheap(around $200)

so just run the cheaper air shocks with both one port that are for a 80 brougham when i did mine two years ago they were like $75 then all you need is the hose adaptor kit that they should also carry
all that basicly is a tee that goes to the 1/8 line from the compressor and then two more 1/8 lines to each shock (its like $5)

hope this helps

·
Registered
265 Posts
the stock compressor can push more than150 psi ,i was tryin one on my truck and also the green is positive and black is ground on the compressor and dont pull the black muffler of it cuz it will always leak

good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts