LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, im from England, Lo's are few and far between over here, but anyway............ quick question??

what purpose does extending the A arms on the front set up benefit, just curious, I guess its for hopping but can you enlighten me??

I have a Linclon '79 towncar, Im gonna juice it next year (hopefully) make it hop and all, but was wondering about this issue???

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
as on Fil's regal..........
extension allows the top arm to move more before it overlocks the top ball joint.

the amount of extension depends on what you intend the ride to do........ in UK we are a bit limited by the MOT [or should be anyway :uh: ], a 1" extension will allow better and more reliable hopping but it will also give a lot of camber at "normal" ride height
:)

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
IF YOU EXTEND THE A-ARM TOO MUCH THE BALLJOINT ANGLE WILL BE TOO EXTREME WHEN YOU DUMP THE CAR INSTEAD AND THAT WILL CAUSE IT TO SNAP JUST AS BAD AS WHEN YOU LOCK UP WITH NON EXTENDED A'S...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Rudey UK@Oct 10 2003, 04:27 PM
does it help with up/ motion generally then....... or just if hopping??
IF YOU HOP OR LOCK UP A CAR WITH STOCK A-ARMS THE UPPER BALLJOINT ANGLE GETS REAL CRITICAL AND CAUSES IT TO BREAK.
STRECHING THE UPPER A'S WILL ADD SUSPENSION TRAVEL AND THATS PERFECT FOR HOPPIN', MORE SUSP. TRAVEL = HIGHER HOP IF DONE RIGHT.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
extending a - arms also help you maintain your suspensions geometry when you ride low.

:),

cc

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Oct 10 2003, 07:54 AM
IF YOU EXTEND THE A-ARM TOO MUCH THE BALLJOINT ANGLE WILL BE TOO EXTREME WHEN YOU DUMP THE CAR INSTEAD AND THAT WILL CAUSE IT TO SNAP JUST AS BAD AS WHEN YOU LOCK UP WITH NON EXTENDED A'S...
our cutlass had about 5 inch of extension... we were riding on white walls baby... hahaa.

·
O.G. Poster
1,090 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Oct 10 2003, 10:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Oct 10 2003, 10:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--badass 64@Oct 10 2003, 07:54 AM
our cutlass had about 5 inch of extension... we were riding on white walls baby... hahaa.[/b][/quote]
and as we all know that cutlass was killen the bumper

·
O.G. Poster
1,090 Posts
but the longer you make them the more stress it's gonna put on the mounting points of the frame it's just like grabbing a longer wrench to break a bolt loose

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Originally posted by Rudey UK@Oct 10 2003, 11:59 AM
Hi there, im from England, Lo's are few and far between over here, but anyway............ quick question??

what purpose does extending the A arms on the front set up benefit, just curious, I guess its for hopping but can you enlighten me??

I have a Linclon '79 towncar, Im gonna juice it next year (hopefully) make it hop and all, but was wondering about this issue???
hey rudey! remember me?

·
Registered
160 Posts
even if ur not hopping it still would be a good idea to extend them at least an inch so when u lock it up it dosent get all mest up. mine are extended an inch just 2 be on the safe side and mines a daily driver. hey anybody know how much it would be to get ur upper control arms chromed? my lower ones are already i just was curious =/

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by hopper_ali+Oct 11 2003, 12:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hopper_ali @ Oct 11 2003, 12:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Rudey UK@Oct 10 2003, 11:59 AM

hey rudey! remember me?[/b][/quote]
hello there.......... how you doing............???

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Oct 10 2003, 05:24 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Oct 10 2003, 05:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--badass 64@Oct 10 2003, 07:54 AM
our cutlass had about 5 inch of extension... we were riding on white walls baby... hahaa.[/b][/quote]
WHOOOAAA!!! -5"!!!! :0 :0 ;)
did you roll on the rim when bustin's 3's then?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts