LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 64 impala, and i want to extened the upper a arms when i juice it, i got an extra front suspenion layin in my backyard that i was going to go ahead and get powder coated before i put it on, i know how to reinforce everything, but i dont know the best way to extend the upper a arms, and help, or pics would be appricated

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
badass64 has some very detailed pics of an a arm extension..
meybe he can be coaxed into posting them?

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
the best way is to extend them at the bushinghole "ears" and not in the middle, i did my 64 uppers 1.1/2" extended and plated the sides with 1/4" and the top with 3/16".
i'll post pics when i get home later today...

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
here's some pics from when i extended my uppers.
1.1/2" extension at the ears, and strapped with 1/4" at the sides.
3/16" top plate yet to be welded in place at the pics...
(you can peep it in the background)

·
Registered
407 Posts
ok after the grinding what grit do you use so they come out smooth? The last grit i used was 120 and i want to get my arms plated and don't want the sand marks to show

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the pics. did u just take and cut the ears off the a-arm then add in the extra 1/2" peice of metal, that might sound like a stupid question, but i want to make sure before i go into cuttin the a-arms on my parts car. thanks

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Cousin64Itt@Nov 26 2003, 02:34 AM
thanks for the pics. did u just take and cut the ears off the a-arm then add in the extra 1/2" peice of metal, that might sound like a stupid question, but i want to make sure before i go into cuttin the a-arms on my parts car. thanks
yeah that's exactly how i did it. (only that i added a 1.1/2" piece)
just make sure that you keep the bushings in and the bar that goes between them so you get the exact distance ones you weld them back together.
i grinded down my bushing shells soo they came in and out real easy when doing this.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by caprice man@Nov 26 2003, 12:05 AM
ok after the grinding what grit do you use so they come out smooth? The last grit i used was 120 and i want to get my arms plated and don't want the sand marks to show
i left the last touch to the chrome plater, i cant really remember what the last was i used...

·
Registered
379 Posts
That looks pretty finished to me ;) HEY BADASS THAT SHIT IS STARTING TO RUST!!!!!Nice work man if your ever on the east coast give me a call! but there is hardly any low lows out here!!! :cool:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
speak 4 yourself maybe there where you at but on my east coast lows ride :cool:

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
heres mine extended 1" off a g body just gotta be sent away for some chrome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts