LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking bout extending my lower trailing arms on my lac,hoping for a higher lock up,what benifits come from this? will the driveshaft still fit up to the rear-end right or will that need extended also?

O

·
0 Posts
RULE OF THUMB, HUH????? HOW SO? DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOUR LENGTHING YOUR LOWER ARMS ;)

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Actual on a factory car you need to shorten the drive shaft most of the time....so extending the trailing arms MAY make the factory drive shaft work better.

There are NO rules of thumb....suspensions work differently from a g-body to a caddy to a X-frame impala to a 65-newer impala, etc.

And Klownin63....extending the lower trailing arms will not really allow a higher lock up....you primarily get a higher lock up from extending the top arms. Extending the lower arms will keep your wheel base longer as you lock the back up.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Jan 10 2004, 07:56 AM
Actual on a factory car you need to shorten the drive shaft most of the time....so extending the trailing arms MAY make the factory drive shaft work better.

There are NO rules of thumb....suspensions work differently from a g-body to a caddy to a X-frame impala to a 65-newer impala, etc.

And Klownin63....extending the lower trailing arms will not really allow a higher lock up....you primarily get a higher lock up from extending the top arms. Extending the lower arms will keep your wheel base longer as you lock the back up.
So how much do you suggest shortening the driveshaft and or extending the trailing arms if I wanted to run 16" cylinders on a regal?

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Personally I would not extend the bottom arms. I would extend the top by about an inch and a half and drop the top mounting points on the frame down about 3 inches. Then I would get a slipped driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Jan 10 2004, 08:08 AM
Personally I would not extend the bottom arms.  I would extend the top by about an inch and a half and drop the top mounting points on the frame down about 3 inches.   Then I would get a slipped driveshaft.
Does Hi Caliber do slipped driveshafts?

Last edited by eurolak at Jan 10 2004, 08:14 AM

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by eurolak+Jan 10 2004, 01:12 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eurolak @ Jan 10 2004, 01:12 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin@Jan 10 2004, 08:08 AM
Personally I would not extend the bottom arms.  I would extend the top by about an inch and a half and drop the top mounting points on the frame down about 3 inches.   Then I would get a slipped driveshaft.
Does Hi Caliber do slipped driveshafts?[/b][/quote]
Yes, Hi-Caliber can get them done. :)

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin+Jan 10 2004, 08:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (big pimpin @ Jan 10 2004, 08:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 01:12 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--big pimpin
@Jan 10 2004, 08:08 AM

Yes, Hi-Caliber can get them done. :)[/b][/quote]
Are they open tomorrow?

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by eurolak+Jan 10 2004, 01:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (eurolak @ Jan 10 2004, 01:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -big [email protected] 10 2004, 08:15 AM

Are they open tomorrow?[/b][/quote]
Yes, call between 10am-6pm. 816-926-0484

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin+Jan 10 2004, 08:20 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (big pimpin @ Jan 10 2004, 08:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by -big [email protected] 10 2004, 08:15 AM

Are they open tomorrow?
Yes, call between 10am-6pm. 816-926-0484[/b][/quote]
:thumbsup:

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
19,175 Posts
:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by Lac_Rollin@Jan 10 2004, 03:34 AM
It is always a rule of thumb to extend the driveshaft when you extend the trailing arms.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh: :uh:

you have no idea what you're talking about...

a rule of thumb (if there ever was one) is to allways move the trailingarm framemounts equally long foward on the frame as you get the trailingarms extended...

Last edited by badass 64 at Jan 10 2004, 06:27 PM

·
Registered
407 Posts
Originally posted by big pimpin@Jan 10 2004, 12:08 AM
Personally I would not extend the bottom arms. I would extend the top by about an inch and a half and drop the top mounting points on the frame down about 3 inches. Then I would get a slipped driveshaft.
do you have any pics of that mod. I have a 86 caprice and want a pretty high lockup in tha ass too :cool:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by morpheus@Jan 11 2004, 10:47 PM
I've got a 83 lac with 16 's in the rear and i want a slip driveshaft. Anyone know where i can get one.  Also,what is the actuall function and purpase of a slip shaft. :dunno:
hit up RICH on here for driveshafts.

the use with slipshafts is that when you lock a car up in the back the rearend gets pulled fowards cuz the angle of the trailingarms gets worse. so then your driveshaft will fuck up the tranny or carrierbearing or both, a slipshaft has a bit of splincetravel that allows it to become shorter-longer so it follows the rearend's travel foward/backward.

Last edited by badass 64 at Jan 12 2004, 11:43 AM

1 - 20 of 30 Posts