LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to buy a seperate battery for my system. I need to know a few things, but first heres what my system has.

2 12" L5 Kicker Solo Barrics
Subs in 3.0 cubic foot ported box
2 JBL 600.1 Mono Amps
Stinger 0 Gauge Wiring

First question.

What would be a good battery for me? I looked into the stinger and the optimas, but theirs so many diff. models of them.

Also, how do I hook the battery to my alt, or do I just charge it every night?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
I cant say what batter is best, but to charge it, run like an 8 gauge power wire to a solenoid, and from there to the new battery. Hook an "ignition hot" wire to turn on the solenoid, that way the extra battery will get charged, but if an amp sticks on or something while the car is off, or you're playing the music with hte car off, it wont drain the starting battery..

mine looks like this..

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Different people will tell you different brand and types. So to keep it simple, get an Optima Red Top (1000CCA) from Autozone.

Use a "Battery Isolator" from Autozone while your at it. It shouls have instrucions on how to insall it. Just make sure to get and isolator that is rated the same as your battery: 80 Amp Alternator = 80 Amp Isolator.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
first off you dont really need an extra battery. You should first upgrade the alternator because if you are running 2 batteries off your stock alternator you may not be getting enough power to fully charge both batteries. and for the 2nd battery i would go with the yellow top. Redtop for starter and yellow top for system

Last edited by 91lacdeville at Sep 7 2003, 01:35 PM

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by 91lacdeville@Sep 7 2003, 12:31 PM
first off you dont really need an extra battery. You should first upgrade the alternator because if you are running 2 batteries off your stock alternator you may not be getting enough power to fully charge both batteries. and for the 2nd battery i would go with the yellow top. Redtop for starter and yellow top for system
i totally agree. :)

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i use a yellow top for my system...but i usually charge it once every week or two just because the stock alternator cant push both

1 - 6 of 6 Posts