LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone I haven't been on here as much as I used to so I wanna make a come back :p. I was contemplating whether or not the make a build topic for my low, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep up since I'm not made of money and don't have a full time crew putting in work on my ride

I bought the Caddy back in 09 for 1700$ cash. I drove it all original for about a year til the shitty 4100 blew. The car set for another 6 months. I eventually sold my old Big Body project off to start on my coupe only I didn't plan on taking it as far as I have. I had originally planned to drop a fresh motor, stress point reinforcement and 90 the outside and making it a clean street cruiser but one thing lead to another :D... Excuse the time gaps in my pics, I didn't take many since I didn't plan on turning it to a project but i did manage to snap a few

The only shots I have of it stock. I put my green knock offs from my other ride to transport it from my parents place to my place since the motor was shot and the original tires where dry rotted and flat

Another when I took it to our shop

Some pic of the work that I did prior to turning it into a project
Shaved firewall. Plate cut out and tacked in

My boy Shorty doing the body work

Front end reinforcement w arms

Upper control arms

Purchased all new bushing, balljoints and tie rods

Frame painted. Uppers, lowers and coils powder coated and installed.

Chained my lowers for safety

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During that time me and my club members got a shop. I moved my ride there and started on reinforcing and narrowing the rearend. The differential is from a 95 Chevy Caprice police interceptor that I traded for a regular big body rearend that I reinforced.

I started by adding a 1/2 custom cut plate

Back side, I added another piece of 1/2 plate to reinforce the reinforcement since the high stress will be in the center narrow portion

Narrowing her down. Lay out for the cut. I removed 3/4" off each side this will allow me to tuck x7s w no rubbing. I couldnt go any further do to the lower trailing arm bracket, I didnt want to relocate it and fab custom lower arms

Cut made, piece discarded and tacked back in

Used tangent lines w center punches on 4 points to make sure she went back on proper orientation. Back grinded all splice and welded vertical up then dye penetrant tested for cracks/pin holes

Empire Custom Swivel cups on custom mounts

Test fitting for clearance. In this pic you can see I already plated the humps and plated the lower trailing arms

Tucking chinas w no rubbing

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the differential was done I reinstalled it and worked on my hydraulic setup and trunk panels which took approximately 2 month from start to finish. I have pics of the whole process but since I didn't go w the original plan I'll save them for later.
After deliberating, seeing that I already had the entire front clip, fenders and motor removed I decided to go ahead and make it a full frame off project.

After removing the body I wrapped the frame in 3/16. I didn't do any crazy mods since I wanted to keep everything subtle. What I did do is "fix" the ugly double taper on the bottom of the center rails. I've done 2 caddy frames before and always thought it looked like ass. Once again excuse my pics I apparently lost a bunch pics of the frame but I did manage to scrape up a few.

Center rails braced off to keep integrity while removing the taper.

Cut bottom plate and moved it down to meet the flat portion

Had the center rail reinforcement plate broke in a 90 for a clean fit and look. Here's how things lined up.

Rear pockets

Rear rails and humps

Molded 95% of the frame all steel no body filler

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After frame was done I took it to get sand blasted at work then off to get powder coated here locally. After powder coating I brought it back to my shop and set it on jack stands. I called my homie Chicho from Majestics Miami to come up and do some leafing on the frame.

Leaf before stripping

Hit up Miguel out of Orlando to lay down some lines

Wasn't going to do the arms but Miguel insisted

·
KICK ROCKS
14,345 Posts
nice work

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once frame was leafed and striped I started installing all suspension components, made custom bent fuel lines and brake lines (pain in the ass), steel braided brake hoses, new bearings on all for rotors/axles, drilled and slotted rotors all around and Energy Suspension bushing an all arms. Spindles, dust guards, sway bars, coils, steering box, calipers/brackets and adjustable upper trailing arms are powder coated.

Put some wheels on it to move the frame around

Here you can see some of the brake line work and the steel braided hose. I also relocated the factory bracket for cosmetics. I also changed (and still changing) all exposed hex head bolts to allen head style bolts for a cleaner look

Took her outside to get some sun and snap some pics

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.