LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a chrome fan on my ride, however its slightly bigger than the old, and it rubs on the fan shroud.
If it possible to take off the fan shroud for good without causing any overheating or other malfunction?

or any suggestions? :cool:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
removing the shroud is a bad idea..

without it, the fan will pull air from the engine compartment, anstead of through the radiator..

the factory doesnt really put on too many "unnecessary" parts..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
not in my experience. on some cars, like g-bodys, even a worn down air damn can cause over heating. i would get one that fits :cool:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah, unless your car is for show, you need a shroud.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by peteypablo@Nov 21 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, unless your car is for show, you need a shroud.
Well, its a show ride, but I still cruise it from time to time.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Originally posted by Payasomm@Nov 21 2003, 09:20 AM
could be damgerous too
Yea..............i got the strings from my hoody caught in the fan one time....................scared the shit outta me

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Just watch your temperature guage and let it cool down if it gets to high. You don't want to overheat.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
i got wacked in the knuckes by a fan...hurt like a bitch...i have thank god i didnt lose any fingers :0

Fan shrouds direct the pulling power of the fan through the radiator..when you take it off, the fan will pull air from the outside and not cool the radiator properly. If your ride has a v6, it is that much worse cause the fan is even farther away. When i do my motor swap im going to put dual electrics on it cause they sound cool when you cruising the lanes of a show :cool:

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
If you don't use your fan on the engine you can put a dual electric fan on the radiator and it will work without a shroud, but it defeats th purpose of having a chrome fan!!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by outkastbd82@Nov 21 2003, 08:05 PM
IT a electric fan
Nope, its a stock fan... however, its been chrome plated... :cool:

I'll probably look and getting a chrome fan shround instead.
or just replacing the same one...

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by peteypablo@Nov 22 2003, 12:13 AM
Just watch your temperature guage and let it cool down if it gets to high. You don't want to overheat.
you know those guages can vary by about 40 degrees right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts