LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it hard to make fiberglass moldings of fenders? im working on a 72 510 datsun, im familer with the glassing process but nevr molded body parts.

can i just lay foil ontpof thefender and glass away?

is there a sertain way of doin it? also how many layers are common?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Originally posted by doughboi916@Sep 27 2006, 04:12 PM~6257997
Is it hard to make fiberglass moldings of fenders? im working on a 72 510 datsun, im familer with the glassing process but nevr molded body parts.

can i just lay foil ontpof thefender and glass away? 

is there a sertain way of doin it? also how many layers are common?
To make a long story short:

clean/degrease inner fender>tape in fender as smooth as possible>use a mold release agent or pam cooking spray>lay fiber glass/resin (1-2 coats)>let dry>pry off> then sand/cut excess fiberglass and outer layer of mold and lay 2 more layers of fiberglass>let dry>sand smooth>bondo>sand>bondo>sand until perfect>clean>Prime (buildable primer)>block>clean>paint.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
...and depending on what the fender shape is like you may have to leave some details out in order to get the mold off/out of the inner fender when dry. Then work them details/shapes back in afterwards. Its alot of work I will warn you..and messy...

:cool:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yes, the backside. Then build up from there otherwise if you do it from the outside the fender will be larger than factory. Also dont forget to mold the tabs/ears or mounting brackets to bolt the fender on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts