LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
you can use packing peanuts, or water....the best way is to build the box as big as you can. then if its too big just add some 2x4s or something on the inside of the box to take up space.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by JUICEDEXPL@Aug 9 2005, 10:14 AM~3569386
you can use packing peanuts, or water....the best way is to build the box as big as you can. then if its too big just add some 2x4s or something on the inside of the box to take up space.
:uh:

·
Registered
413 Posts
That is a good link btw..but when it comes to measuring airspace for a contoured, or odd shaped enclosure..it is very difficult to get an accurate reading

Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 9 2005, 07:28 AM~3569428
:uh:
so, maybe i should explain myself a bit better. Use like an empty 2-ltr jug. Pour water into the box and count how many liters you put in. then convert that to cubic feet. and you have your measurement.

·
Registered
20,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by JUICEDEXPL@Aug 10 2005, 12:03 AM~3574395
That is a good link btw..but when it comes to measuring airspace for a contoured, or odd shaped enclosure..it is very difficult to get an accurate reading
so, maybe i should explain myself a bit better. Use like an empty 2-ltr jug. Pour water into the box and count how many liters you put in. then convert that to cubic feet. and you have your measurement.
are u trying to tell me to pour water onto MDF board?

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by JUICEDEXPL@Aug 10 2005, 12:03 AM~3574395
Pour water into the box and count how many liters you put in. then convert that to cubic feet. and you have your measurement.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
most people around here use the resin on the inside of the box too, but i dont know about pouring water in it???

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i wondnt use water, packing peanuts yes, or sand thats kind of a mess though.you can use expandapble foam to fill in if its to big. if its to small they have a batting that speeds up the bass waves making seem like a bigger box.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
my friend works at an audio store and he always uses resin on the inside of all his fiberglass enclosures. he says it makes them stronger. he uses resin on all the inside panels and bracing.......why not it has to make it stronger and i will gaurantee its sealed........now on ported boxes i'm not sure if he uses the resin...

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
just build the bos as big as you can.chance are your going spl and ported, so the bigger the better.Build it as big as you want, just dont figure your port until you have calculated your airspace.The packing peanuts is a good way,but not one of my favorites.I know you dont have the resources,but I took my enclosure to work and had a friend use a digitizer to map up the enclosure in 3-D point by point and calulate dimensions, hence airspace. Just use a calc program the will automatically remove port size and shape displacement,since you cant do that 'cause you dont know how much space your port will take up since you dont know how much airspace you have, and dont know how big a port to make.That gets confusing.You cant calc your airspace, then subtract a port,because the port displacment depends on your airspace, wich depends on ports size, which you cannot determine unless you know how much your port displaces.Wow,I'm confusing myself.Anyway, just find a calc program that will automatically calculate both round and square (slot) ports out of your measurments and subtracts its own port displacement.Just check and make sure you consider port wall thickness.And a tip! If you glass your port, dont make it think, make it thick with bracing! My last enclosure have a 3x10 port about 40" long (cant remember off the top of my head) with a 90" turn and I made it took thin and it buzzed like crap.I had to drill access holes in the box to screw mdf braces in.Other tips, use MDF where ever you need to, just tear it up with 16 grit clean it up and the glass will stick right to it,just overlap a couple inches at least and make sure it doesnt get too thin at those points, it has a habit of doing that.#1 tip is to plan ahead, let your help know your plan and each have your rolse before your start mixxinf resin.Also, temp and humidity and even airflow all have big effects on dry time, so when you start getting hot in the back of that car, tuff it out and dont put a fan on ya, that shizz will set up fast than you want it, and its sually a mess if youv already started.

And for cosmetics, kitty hair body filler with thin layers of reg plastic filler over that, and of course, eat the glass up with 16 grit first so the bondo sticks.Once you get the bondo looking good, sand it with 120-220 grit and primer it, sand that with 320-800 grit and paint tha sucker.Dont let another nice fiberglass box go unfinished and ugly.

oh, and by the way, you shouldn't have to use resin on the inside of the box, if you do, your not putting enough on in the first place.the shit has to soak through the glass to big as strong as it can be.and you can soak mdf in watter if is paint right, but who paints the inside of there boxes anyway?( besides me 6 years ago)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by cd blazin@Aug 12 2005, 10:13 PM~3608078
sorry i apologize for the incorect info the batting slows the bass waves down. Hope you had your laughs.
You're still retarded. Speeding up any waveform changes the frequency to be higher and slowing it down does the reverse. Batting changes the airflow in the box. It's similar to inhaling through a straw. The sub acts like it's in a BIGGER box.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
to let you know my brother is retarted, thanks for the comment hope you feel better about yourself. I also said it acts like its in a bigger box, and i corrected my self on my mistake. I didnt think this web site was about negativity just trying to help a brother out as i hope someone would do for me. Maybe you should get off line and suck on your straw. This info was givin to me by my boss you is ranked top 100 car stereo installer in the country. i just explained it in a simple way. the calculation for a speaker box is the internal lenght times the internal width times the internal height divided by 17.28.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts