LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question guys. I'm doing a bunch of glass work for a customer and was wondering how much wattage a fiberglass enclosure can handle. I understand that it depends on how its made and some other factors. The enclosure is going to house two 12's running 3200 watts. Do I need to build the 12's seperate boxes out of the mdf and then the rest in glass or will the glass be strong enough to handle that wattage? I'm not new to glass or systems by any means...just seeing how others have done this in the past. Overall, the system is 7200 watts.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
thats sort of a wierd question? are you connecting the fiberglass box to the amps?
J/K

what subs? what type of enclosure?

the cool thing about glass is that you can make it handle whatever your trying to do... .75" of glass IMO is better then .75" of MDF. You gotta think about it though, would you double the panels if you were making it out of MDF? if so, then go twice as much on the glass then you normally would.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Make as much of it as you can out of MDF then the rest fiberglass. I would say 1/2" thick should do it depending on how much of the box is fiber and what shape it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After thinking about it some more I think i'm going to make 2 seperate 3/4 inch mfd enclosures and tie them all together with the glass. At least that way if there is any flex from the air pressure it will all be contained in the mdf enclosure and therefore wont risk cracking the glass.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Originally posted by leesautobodycustom@Oct 19 2007, 01:29 PM~9039734
After thinking about it some more I think i'm going to make 2 seperate 3/4 inch mfd enclosures and tie them all together with the glass. At least that way if there is any flex from the air pressure it will all be contained in the mdf enclosure and therefore wont risk cracking the glass.
The glass would have to be very thin for it to crack. Any decent thickness you could wail on with a hammer and it shouldn't crack.

This box going to be sealed?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Originally posted by kannabis@Oct 19 2007, 03:40 PM~9040321
The glass would have to be very thin for it to crack.  Any decent thickness you could wail on with a hammer and it shouldn't crack.

This box going to be sealed?
is that so?

depending on what your using (subs) and how your using them, your enclosure must be built accordingly... there are reasons we make enclosures with double baffles... or we brace, or we double layer an enclosure etc...

if your using 80lb subs that are sick, you need to have a serious frame, and use good quality mat and resin and make it thicker then the suggested 1/2" (a cabosil/resin milkshake might be good so you can get your enclosure about 1.25" thick).

the sturdier the enclosure, the better the bass response (all around, from sq, to spl)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts