LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna shave the lights off my front ABS bumper and i was wondering if i could use fiberglass mat to go over the holes and then Bondo it?

i have no idea if this is the right thing to do cause i've never seen it done on a truck like mine before

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I were doing it I would lay around 10 layers... You could probably get away with 7 but Fiberglass mat is cheap... just do it right the first time....

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want to do it right.. Get a thin... again... THIN peice of plexiglass and screw it to the front side of the bumper over the holes where the lights were.. Or you could use poster board.. and tape it to the front side of the bumper..

Then from turn the bumper over and start glassing it from the back side. Once you build up a couple of layers and they dry you can take the plexi off or the poster board which ever you use, off the bumper. And continue with the layers of fiberglass on the back side of the bumper... Then after you have your layers on the back completed and dried hard, start on the front side.

Now that you have the holes filled from the back you just want to build up the 1/4 inch or so thickness of the actual bumper. I would suggest cutting mat the size of the actuall hole itself. Add layers untill you get just below the bumper thickness.. Fill the rest with Bondo.. Sand it down and spray it.... DONE!!

Oh yeah... btw just in case you do not know... ( not trying to insult your knowledge of working with fiberglass ) Anything such as plexi or the poster board needs to be wrapped with Tin Foil... glass will not stick to it very well and it will make it easier to remove.

Just on a side note....

If you really want to make it easy on yourself. Rather than going through all this headache. Get a peice of GLASS... actual GLASS ... like a window pane.... and lay down all of your layers of fiberglass on it first....

take the glass... start laying down your layers on top of it.... once you have a bout 7 layers built up wait for it all to dry... then take the fiberglass sheet you just made off of the glass.. it should snap free easily.. cut that new sheet of ridged fiberglass to about the shape of the hole and put it on the back side of the bumper... Use 3M body shop panel adhesive to adhere it to the bumper..and let it completly dry... takes up to 24 hours.. then just fill the front... bondo, sand and spray...

I have given you two decent options... GOOD LUCK!!!

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont quote me on this but you should be able to get it at any store such as NAPA.. Most places that I find that carry paint supplies will be able to get it for you...

One thing I failed to mention before. The body panel adhesive is an epoxy system and comes in 2 parts .. You have to mix it... It comes in a tube like calke that you put into a special calking gun ... when you open the tube it and squeeze it will mix itself... But if you can not find such a product you could also use JB Weld... basically the same stuff... You just need to find something that will basically weld the glass to the bumper....

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
YEA EVEN WALLMART SELLS THE MAT AND THE RESIN 10 LAYERS THATS ALOT OF SANDING AND THE RESIN IT SELF COMES WITH A MIXING CUP SO U CAN MIX IT WITH THAT I THINK ITS LIKE 10 DROPS FOR EVERY 3OZ I THINK OH AND ANOTHER THING IS THE MIX DRIES FAST AND ITS BEST TO PRE-CUTT THE MAT BEFORE YOU START

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just started making the filler panels an hour ago i'm gonna screw them to the light bracktet (because the light ain't there no more) then i'm gonna lay a few more layers to level it with the bumper then sand bondo sand bondo primer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts