LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 model lincoln town car and i plan on hopping it and three wheelin it, and I know I have to reinforce the frame and shit. Ive seen on here were you guys say to fiberglass the rear quarters cuz it keeps them from bucklin, but where do you fiberglass them at, on the out side or on the inside where the wheel well is.

Any info would be gladly epreciated....

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
remove all the crap from the inside of the quarter panel as far as you can reach..

buy a few yards of fiberglass cloth or mat and a gallon or so of resin and hardener.

cut the fiberglass into sections and saturate with resin.

apply to inside of quarter panel.

put about 3-4 layers to make it really strong. might need more cloth and resin..

run water over the outside of the area your reinforcing to keep the paint from blistering because glass gets hot as it cures.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot, cuz i was thinkin if u did it on the outside wouldnt it fuck up the body lines,, (like a lincoln has any on the rear quarters).

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by 1lowTC@Aug 15 2006, 07:39 PM~5976047
thanks alot, cuz i was thinkin if u did it on the outside wouldnt it fuck up the body lines,, (like a lincoln has any on the rear quarters).

WTF !!!! LOL..... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Originally posted by 96' lincoln@Aug 16 2006, 08:14 PM~5983282
and your panels shouldnt buckle if you wrap your frame ?

your panels shouldnt buckle if your body mounts and bushings are good.

·
EL PIPIRIPAU!!!
379 Posts
it would still buckle with time :cool:

·
INDIVIDUAL
1,435 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Aug 15 2006, 03:42 PM~5974503
remove all the crap from the inside of the quarter panel as far as you can reach.. 

buy a few yards of fiberglass cloth or mat and a gallon or so of resin and hardener.

put about 3-4 layers to make it really strong.  might need more cloth and resin..

run water over the outside of the area your reinforcing to keep the paint from blistering because glass gets hot as it cures.
now do want 2 keep the outside really cold so it wont mess up the paint

·
over it
6,640 Posts
Just keep it cool. If you have it cold it will slow down the cure time and cause the resin to run down the 1/4 panel. If you do it make sure you clean the panel really good with acetone then sand it down with some rough sand paper (36 or 60 grit) to remove all the paint and rough the surface up for proper adhesion. Use fiberglas cloth not the chop strand matt. The cloth looks weaved and the matt is just a bunch of pieces press together. Cloth is much stronger. You have to make sure you get the cloth to lay flat on the panel without air pockets though otherwise it will not be as strong. If you do multiple layers you will have to sand the surface between each layer and wipe it clean with acetone or the next layer will not bite into the resin properly. Keep in mind the strength is in the cloth not the resin. Only use enough resin to saturate the cloth, more than that is waiste and makes the glass brittle. Buy a big box of rubber gloves also or you will regret ever touching the stuff. Don't even bother if your not going to prep it correctly, or you will just end up with a big chunk of fiberglass bouncing around in the trunk. Good luck, hope this helps. Carbon fiber cloth is way stronger than fiberglass also if you really feel like spending some cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[My homey used kittykittythe hair. Its beenthe a fewpain years andto hasnt had anyto buckling. I haveget a 1991job four door Btoughamyesterday i wantget to liftthe soon. Just doing reseach . Getting readya to liftthe soon.QUOTE=Tuna_Sammich;2319383]remove all the crap from the inside of the quarter panel as far as you can reach..

put about 3-4 layers to make it really strong. might need more cloth and resin..

run water over the outside of the area your reinforcing to keep the paint from blistering because glass gets hot as it cures.[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts