LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just getting ready to mould some F/G into some moulds and i have no releasing agent..

anyone know what esle i can use instead???
( i will be painting F/G so nothing that will react with that..)

·
Registered
819 Posts
You stating that you are getting ready to pour your fiberglass into a mold. What is the mold made of?

I have heard some people use car was as a releasing agent.

You might list exactly what you are making.

I'll help as much as I can.

Later
TC

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
i heard the same thing about wax but im not sure if it was car wax or not....im pretty sure they sell mold release wax

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I coulda sworn someone told me before to use wax paper and/or crisco shortning. I think they also sell special mold release agents but I been getting high lately and dont remember.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by /\Chris/\@Dec 2 2003, 05:03 AM
I coulda sworn someone told me before to use wax paper and/or crisco shortning. I think they also sell special mold release agents but I been getting high lately and dont remember.
see thats another thing someone i know does..but he said he uses pam cooking spray and rubs it into the mold some....but the crisco and wax paper sounds like it would work...

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
i have used car wax of course you don't rubbit in just lay a thin layer of it on and i have also used sex wax both worked awesome
but again what the hell is the mold of and for

Last edited by joebomber52 at Dec 2 2003, 01:11 PM

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
the professionals use a compressor. When building a mold, they build in a valve, kinda like on your rims. When the fiberglass is hard, they connect a compressor to it, and compress air between the mold and the fiberglass, very effective.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Originally posted by Joost....@Dec 2 2003, 02:02 PM
the professionals use a compressor. When building a mold, they build in a valve, kinda like on your rims. When the fiberglass is hard, they connect a compressor to it, and compress air between the mold and the fiberglass, very effective.
still needc something yo keep it from sticking together

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am just constructing 4" wide panels about 3-layers thick..

its not a complicated mould. ( i would not try that without release agent.)

what i used in the end was some sticky alluminium foil tape, stuck to a piece of mdf ..WORKED WELL..

thanks for replys anyway.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
719 Posts
If I understand what your asking....use tinfoil. Cover whatever you are using for a mold, that you dont want to get fiberglass on, with aluminum foil. Then cover it in resin, you can then pull the fiberglass off, then peel the foil off the fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I work w/ fiberglass for a living, we use a release agent from Loctite called freecoat- you apply it 3 times, and buff it to a shine- that's what's best for multiple use molds- on one time molds we just use a whole lot of bee's wax- it works really well.Hope that helped-One

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by CANUHOP@Dec 5 2003, 03:06 PM
I work w/ fiberglass for a living, we use a release agent from Loctite called freecoat- you apply it 3 times, and buff it to a shine- that's what's best for multiple use molds- on one time molds we just use a whole lot of bee's wax- it works really well.Hope that helped-One
Bees wax? thats a good idea..

will this stuff be removed from finished piece ok??

One other question..
i use gloves when ever possible but there are times when that is not possible..

i dont normally react to stuff like this..but this shit is making my hand itch like F*******K..
How can i remove all F/G irritation ??????

Thanks.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
i just finished some fiberglass work myself and all i used was duct tape. it worked great

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tell me about it..

i rekon in 2-days time all my damn skin will be gone..

i have worked with fibreglass based insulation materials that does the same thing to skin.. a good cold bath normally gits rid of it, but not this shit..
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Last edited by jjj at Dec 6 2003, 04:54 PM

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You got the right idea w/ the cold water- you might wanna try apple cider vinegar, it smells like shit, but it gets the job done!The beex wax actually helps in the first stage of buffing, if you're doin' a high gloss project.If not just wipe it off w/ a clean cloth.Another helpful hint- if you're doin' high detail molds- use a thin layer or two of a high quality gelcoat before you fiberglass the piece- this gives you an excellent base to paint- hope that helps-PEACE

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nothin to trick..just keepin it simple for now..

thanks for advise. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts