LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of building some custom fiberglass sub boxes and was wondering how thick the walls need to be. ive used 3/4 mdf before snd im looking for a more custom look. and what kind of fiberglass and resin do i use. any web sites?

thanks guys

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
THIS IS WHAT THE PROS USE..

TAP Super-Hard Epoxy
Fast setting epoxy for repairs, coating, and fiberglassing with superior surface hardness and excellent chemical resistance. Resists gasoline, corrosion, and acid. Great for tank linings, fume hoods, ducts, floors, and splash areas. Great adhesion, bonds metal, wood, fiberglass, concrete, and most plastics. 10 to 15 minute pot-life. Kit includes resin and hardener in a 4 to 1 ratio.

The kit is available in a 1 1/4 drum (50 gallon) size by phone order only: (800) 246-5055 Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm (PST).

Click here for more information about TAP Super-Hard Epoxy.

ITS $68.00 DOLLERS A GALLON SET-UP.BUT WILL NEVER CRACK...

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
The question of thickness really depends on the shape. You see, fiberglass gets the majority of its strength from the shape. A semi-circle 1/16" thick could very well be stonger than a flat plane of fiberglass that is 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by MRIMPALA2000510@Nov 24 2003, 12:01 PM

TAP Super-Hard Epoxy
Fast setting epoxy for repairs, coating, and fiberglassing with superior surface hardness and excellent chemical resistance. Resists gasoline, corrosion, and acid. Great for tank linings, fume hoods, ducts, floors, and splash areas. Great adhesion, bonds metal, wood, fiberglass, concrete, and most plastics. 10 to 15 minute pot-life. Kit includes resin and hardener in a 4 to 1 ratio.

The kit is available in a 1 1/4 drum (50 gallon) size by phone order only: (800) 246-5055 Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm (PST).

i thought a drum was 55 gallons :confused:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Nov 24 2003, 09:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Nov 24 2003, 09:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MRIMPALA2000510@Nov 24 2003, 12:01 PM

TAP Super-Hard Epoxy

i thought a drum was 55 gallons :confused:[/b][/quote]
:biggrin:

Is it good if you dont buy by the drum. But rather, the truckload of drums?! EEK :biggrin:

But yeah, every professional fiberglassing place (at least one of any size), buys it in bulk. My father's business buys it from Duraglass, but nonetheless it comes in 55 gal drums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts