LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 12inch sub box that is carpeted, but I want it to paint it the same color as my car, its mdf, how can i make it shiny, can sum one advise on what to do, I never done anything like this before

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Originally posted by theride87@Aug 27 2006, 04:31 PM~6053680
I have a 2 12inch sub box that is carpeted, but I want it to paint it the same color as my car, its mdf, how can i make it shiny, can sum one advise on what to do, I never done anything like this before
just leave the carpet on the box, mix up some fiberglass resin and start brushig it on. be sure to soak the carpet really well. once its dried just sand it smooth and prime, paint it. painting the wood like the other dude said won't look good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ok it depends on whether or not you want to give it some shape or not....

if not then yeah just soak the carpet in resin let it dry. Sand the crap out of it for a little bit not too much.... DONT PAINT RIGHT AFTER SANDING.

Mix some bondo (body filler) with resin. Bondo resin
go about half and half. Make sure you use enough hardner. Let this dry in the sun for a couple of hours till it is completely dry then sand this layer down till it is nice and smooth. this will give it a very smooth surface. its easier than tryig to sand down your carpet covered in resin.

when this is smooth primer a couple of times to make sure there are no waves or imperfections then paint and clear.

easiest way.

if you want some shape ill give you details on that too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
ok not the easiest way.... easiest way to make it look good. not like a hack job like covering the screw holes wit bondo and primering and painting straight wood

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have painted mdf several times, sand smooth, body filler on any screw holes or low spots, lay down a few good coats of primer and wet sand the primer. then paint.
just make sure you get 100% of the wood covered. if you leave any wood exposed, it can get wet and swell while you are wet sanding.
a lot of people come back and say "I want my box fiberglassed like you did that one guys" then I tell them there was no "fiberglass", just primer.
I think some see someting painted base coat/clear coat and automatically call it fiberglass.
DC

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by Juiced10+Aug 30 2006, 02:19 PM~6073428-->
ok not the easiest way.... easiest way to make it look good.  not like a hack job like covering the screw holes wit bondo and primering and painting straight wood
[/b]
:uh: x100
<!--QuoteBegin-CarShowDisplays
@Aug 30 2006, 02:27 PM~6073478
I have painted mdf several times, sand smooth, body filler on any screw holes or low spots,  lay down a few good coats of primer and wet sand the primer.  then paint. 
just make sure you get 100% of the wood covered.  if you leave any wood exposed, it can get wet and swell while you are wet sanding. 
a lot of people come back and say "I want my box fiberglassed like you did that one guys"  then I tell them there was no "fiberglass", just primer. 
I think some see someting painted base coat/clear coat and automatically call it fiberglass. 
DC
i see this all the time. Anything people see painted, they just automatically think it's fiberglass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts