LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by shorty 2low+Sep 22 2003, 02:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shorty 2low @ Sep 22 2003, 02:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--The Mad Modeler@Sep 22 2003, 04:01 PM
uhhh.... nevermind, i'll just post pics when i do it again. ;)
get what done[/b][/quote]
turn another G/N hood into a Regal hood ;)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by PiK@Sep 22 2003, 02:13 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever tell me these things Mad Modeler? If I would have known that I proabaly would have gone with a different method :angry:
sorry man, i didnt know you was working on anything like that.
not to mention that its always being mentioned on here. sorry man :(

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by dag65@Sep 22 2003, 02:34 PM
bondo
yepp, but if you use bondo you have to make sure you have a really roughed up surface for it to grab to or it will fall out too.

resin is nice because it burns itself into the plastic from chemical heat.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by PiK@Sep 22 2003, 02:37 PM
dag just saying that one word I understood exactly what you were saying. I am sure you are implying that bondo is a wonderful alternative to model putty. is that right?
Yes sir, and cheap. $4 for the small can. Since its 2 part you can mix it to set as fast or slow as you want. Like MAd said make sure the surface is rough first so it has something to grab onto, that goea for additional coats too, then I finsh with a spot or glaze putty fo the little stuff. NEver have liked the stuff for models.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
i'll help you out the best i can if you hook me up pics of pops drag car :biggrin:

one of the best ways would be to take and cut the scoop out and then get a piece of thin sheet styrene and cut it out the shape of the whole hood and glue to the underside of the hood. that way nothing looks out of place when the hood is up.

*NOTE*</span>

when you cut the styrene out make sure you leave a slight gap around the edges so the hood can close. make sure you do ALOT of test fitting before you glue.

also before you glue it down take and rough it all up where the opening is loacated so your bondo will stick. a good way to do this would be to take one of your dads grinders and rub the styrene back and forth on the grinding wheel <span style=\'color:red\'>by hand
. (not with the grinder running)

when you are ready to glue it together get you 6 clothes pins. spread a nice coat of superglue over the styrene and then once its in place put the clothespins on it to press it all together nicely.

one in each corner towards the outter edge and 2 in the middle closer to the center. this will give you good area coverage.

once that is dry, remove the clothspins and go to work on the bondo work. it's pretty self explanitory after that i believe. have your dad help you out too with the mix and whatnot.
you wanna keep the bondo light pink not red. it will dry out too quick and wont be worth a shit. like i said have him help you with that part.

good luck man, and keep me posted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by shorty 2low@Sep 23 2003, 07:59 PM

:dunno: is it the same stuff models are made of? my pops said thats what it was...
yepp, thats the stuff ;)

the tape thing wouldnt be a good idea it will crack out and fall through.

the reasoning for the full underside covering of styrene is so that the bondo has a solid permanent foundation. it has nowhere to go and has no reason to wanna go anywhere. does that make sense? :puffin:

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler+Sep 23 2003, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Mad Modeler @ Sep 23 2003, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--shorty 2low@Sep 23 2003, 07:59 PM

:dunno: is it the same stuff models are made of? my pops said thats what it was...
yepp, thats the stuff ;)

the tape thing wouldnt be a good idea it will crack out and fall through.

the reasoning for the full underside covering of styrene is so that the bondo has a solid permanent foundation. it has nowhere to go and has no reason to wanna go anywhere. does that make sense? :puffin:[/b][/quote]
the tape is a good idea only for little bitty holes. With unsupported bondo like that, you could put a thumb thru it real easy handling it or polishing your paint out.

K. Diaz

1 - 20 of 30 Posts