LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 86 regal i'll be installing some juice on in the next mnth or so. i'm just looking for something mild like front, back, side to side, and possibly 3-wheel. Tires don't have to come off the ground at all but if i could get the front say about 4-6" that would be tight. I'm not looking to do any frame re-inforcing or anything drastic just yet. The car will be a daily driver year round.

What size cylinders should i go with? any brands better than others? pumps? dumps? accumulators? Good place to get a battery charger? where and what kind of battery's to get(marine deep cycle)? Also, the car is lowered on basically stock coils so what should i swap them out with?

·
Registered
709 Posts
there are alot of good hydraulic companys out there (showtime or pro hopper) are the only ones i use make shure u get a competiotion kit even if its only going on a daily cause the seals just last longer and you get chrome tanks etc. id go with 8" cylinders in front and 10's in the back about coil size i run 3 1/2's in the front and for the rear run 2 1/2's pre-cut and make shure you do a coil-over set-up it's a lot safer for a daily get at least 6 batterys. even tho u dont wanna do any hopping u still should reinforce the rear humps and extend you top a-arms one inch.

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by the rear humps? Yeah, i was thinking of a showtime competition kit with either 8" all around or 8" in front and 10" in back. Probably 2 pumps and 4-6 battery's. Why do you say a coil over setup is safer for a daily driver?

·
Registered
709 Posts
do u know the difference between a coil over setup and a coil under set up?

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really. Only "coil overs" i've dealt with have been on imports. Coilovers being shorter replacement springs with a sleeved mount to adjust ride height. I've never really paid attention to the details that go into making a reliable hydro setup. How much $$$ should i be looking at spending? I could make the battery rack, run all the plumbing and wiring, and maybe the coils and cylinders if i feel confindent enough. but i'll probably just take that to a shop so i know it's done right. how much you think i'm looking at spending for a showtime comp kit with 8" up front & 10" in back with 6 batterys?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
if u know how to do it yourself i would do that but my set up cost about 1800 bucks if u talk it to a shop it might be 2800 +, also u should really think a bout doing a full wrap frame if its going to be a daily driver arches, cross member, front frame, axels ect...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Aug 11 2005, 08:55 PM~3597919
I got an 86 regal i'll be installing some juice on in the next mnth or so.  i'm just looking for something mild like front, back, side to side, and possibly 3-wheel.  Tires don't have to come off the ground  at all but if i could get the front say about 4-6" that would be tight.  I'm not looking to do any frame re-inforcing or anything drastic just yet.  The car will be a daily driver year round.

What size cylinders should i go with?  any brands better than others?  pumps?  dumps?  accumulators?  Good place to get a battery charger?  where and what kind of battery's to get(marine deep cycle)?    Also, the car is lowered on basically stock coils so what should i swap them out with?

you wont be able to 3 wheel with 10s in the back

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i haven't installed them before but i'm positive i can run all the plumbing for everything. Only thing i don't know how to do is weld.

Is a full wrapped frame necessary for a daily that's not getting more than a couple inches off the ground, if that? How much does soemthing like that run?

No 3 wheel with 10's in back, so what do i need back there? 12's or 14's? When getting bigger cylinders like that, do i need to make anything else longer?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like SHOWTIME equipment and customer service. I also got that book the science of hydraulic suspension from them and its real good. Plus, ever since I used an adex valve I'll never switch to anything of less quality than that. ADEX VALVES are real good and sound cool too.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Sep 6 2005, 01:06 PM~3762119
Well i haven't installed them before but i'm positive i can run all the plumbing for everything.  Only thing i don't know how to do is weld. 

Is a full wrapped frame necessary for a daily that's not getting more than a couple inches off the ground, if that?  How much does soemthing like that run?

No 3 wheel with 10's in back,  so what do i need back there?  12's or 14's?  When getting bigger cylinders like that, do i need to make anything else longer?
they say u should fully wrap the frame no matter what, but there could be some exceptions, like if u gonna be TOOOO heavy on the switch and always try 2 clown, then yea get it wrapped, but if your not going to abuse the switch then i wouldnt really worry too much (IMO get it wrapped)

If your gonna run 14's in the back there isnt any necessary adjustments (such as upper and lower trailing arms, moving mounts lower, reinforcing and drive shaft adjustments) to be made unless your going to try 2 drive it locked up. But IMO if its your daily then you should just get 8's front and 12's back :cool:

·
16,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks g-body.

How many people on here with set-ups are running fully wrapped frames? Seems like a lot of money i could just be sinking into appearance, sounds, etc.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I say 12's in the back, and dont do your a-arms one inch, just 1/2" or 5/8" for a daily. and get your car aligned at drive height after all is said and done

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Sep 6 2005, 10:08 PM~3765829
Thanks g-body.

How many people on here with set-ups are running fully wrapped frames?  Seems like a lot of money i could just be sinking into appearance, sounds, etc.
Shyt I just received my kit, goin for something simple wit no reinforcments except the a-arms (just because I already have a pair layin around). Im puttin 2 pumps 4 dumps (FBSS) with 2 accumulators to the rear and 6 batteries. Its just a cruiser and im not gonna be heavy on the switch so it should be fine ( I hope) lol. I'll post pics once the steup is in :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts