LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my friend and I fired up his (soon to be mine) chevelle today. it's a 5.0L 307. He hasn't started it up in a while, i'd say about a month or a little less. Anyways, we got it going because i wanted to tune it up a bit and just a get a feel for the car i'm soon going to buy.

Just did some basic stuff like sea foamed the engine, changed oil, check fluid levels, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air filter, fuel treatment...

What we noticed is that there is a good amount of moisture coming out of the exhaust. Like i could put my hand there and he'd rev the engine and my hand would be wet. The engine wasn't smoking or anything, so i figured that it wasn't a shot seal or gasket. I just want to know is this from the car sitting for a while? how detrimental is it to the engine and what can i do to get rid of it?

thanks a lot guys for any feedback.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pay a mechanic to do a "compression check" on the engine if you want to get the best idea concerning the wear on the engine......!!!!!!!!

MS

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by mustangsalli@Nov 23 2008, 08:11 AM~12234496
Pay a mechanic to do a "compression check" on the engine if you want to get the best idea concerning the wear on the engine......!!!!!!!!

MS

:wave:

·
Married to the Ave
24,221 Posts
Originally posted by GueroRegal@Nov 23 2008, 02:52 AM~12234275
As the title says, my friend and I fired up his (soon to be mine) chevelle today. it's a 5.0L 307. He hasn't started it up in a while, i'd say about a month or a little less. Anyways, we got it going because i wanted to tune it up a bit and just a get a feel for the car i'm soon going to buy.

Just did some basic stuff like sea foamed the engine, changed oil, check fluid levels, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air filter, fuel treatment...

What we noticed is that there is a good amount of moisture coming out of the exhaust. Like i could put my hand there and he'd rev the engine and my hand would be wet. The engine wasn't smoking or anything, so i figured that it wasn't a shot seal or gasket. I just want to know is this from the car sitting for a while? how detrimental is it to the engine and what can i do to get rid of it?

thanks a lot guys for any feedback.
:uh: thats common for a car thats been sitting...moisture collects in the mufflers/pipes...drive it around for awhile its...probably fine...but im sure you will be pulling the engine out anyway and tossing it for something more appropriate for a 68 right? :happysad:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Condensation in the mufflers burning off. The car has not ran in a while so the moisture that collected in the mufflers is burning off and out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Infamous James@Nov 23 2008, 08:13 AM~12234786
:uh: thats common for a car thats been sitting...moisture collects in the mufflers/pipes...drive it around for awhile its...probably fine...but im sure you will be pulling the engine out anyway and tossing it for something more appropriate for a 68 right? :happysad:
Your damn right. haha. going with a 350 once i get the money to do so. :biggrin:

thanks for the replies everyone.

·
que..
12,562 Posts
Originally posted by GueroRegal@Nov 23 2008, 11:52 AM~12235211
Your damn right. haha. going with a 350 once i get the money to do so.  :biggrin:

thanks for the replies everyone.
350? go big block :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Lil_Peezy420@Nov 23 2008, 10:01 AM~12235255
350? go big block :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:
haha i dont think ill be able to afford that shit, as much as i'd like to. i'd probably end up having to switch out the trans and modify the engine bay right???

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by GueroRegal@Nov 23 2008, 10:07 AM~12235279
haha i dont think ill be able to afford that shit, as much as i'd like to. i'd probably end up having to switch out the trans and modify the engine bay right???
A big block will drop right in to that engine bay

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
most cars put out moisture on start up its normal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by GueroRegal@Nov 23 2008, 10:07 AM~12235279
:0 :)

·
Married to the Ave
24,221 Posts
Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Nov 23 2008, 11:32 AM~12235387
A big block will drop right in to that engine bay
x3456 that hoe was built for a 427/454 :cool:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
go big or go home! ZZ604 crate!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just the other day we filled the power steering pump with fluid. Figuring it would fix the power steering problem. It didn't. We turned the engine back on and it began to spray the fluid everywhere. He just got the hoses replaced but the pump and everything else is all original. Anybody have any ideas on this one? Do I just need a new pump?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Did you OVERFILL the power steering pump with fluid beyon the markings or not have the hoses threaded in all the way???
One hose handles the pressure and the other is a return line.
Only other places to leak from are the pumps seal at the bottom or the power steering cylinder/actuator gaskets themselves-

MUSTANG SALLI

1 - 20 of 56 Posts