LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is black hard to really mess up when applying compared to most other colors? I'm planning on painting my caddy black and this will be my first paint job. Thx for any input.

Last edited by kaddylowrider at Sep 27 2003, 12:57 AM

·
Registered
549 Posts
AWWWWWW NAW ...TAKE UR SHIT TO A BODY SHOP AND HAVE THEM SHOOT IT.........WELL I WOULD DO THAT....BLACK SHOWS EVERY LIL FLAW FROM SAND SCRATCHES TO WAVES UR UR BODY....

A SINGLE STAGE BLACK MIGHT BE UR BEST BET IF U STILL GONNA DO IT URSELF...I SUGGETS SHOOTING A HIGH BUILD PRIMER FIRST.......BLOCK IT OUT WITH 220 GRIT.........RE SHOOT PRIMER, NOT AS THICK.... AND WET SAND WITH ABOUT 600-800 GRIT, OH AND USE A BLEND PREP WHEN WET SANDING.........IF U DO THAT UR SHIT SHOULD COME OUT GOOD........

DETRIMING EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS BEST TOO .....LOOKS MORE ORIGINAL.........GOOD LUCK HOMIE

·
Registered
549 Posts
SHOOT A SINGLE STAGE............IF ITS UR FIRST TIME UR PROB GONNA RUN THE SHIT OUT OF CLEAR......DONT FORGET CLEAR ITS HARDER THEN THE PAINT.......THE FIRST 2 SPRAYS ARE JUST LIKE A MIST......LOOKS FOGGY BUT ITS JUST TO GET IT STARTED .......TO KEEP IT TACKY SO IT WONT RUN......USUALLY ITLL GO ON TO THICK AT FIRTS AND THEN U GOT RUNS THE REST OF THE WAY........IF U GO 2 STAGE JUST TAKE UR TIME WITH THE CLEAR JUST LIGHTLY FEATHER THE FIRST 2 COATS............

·
Registered
949 Posts
black will show all defects in bodywork but also has high coverage making it very easy to lay - so if you get your bodywork good It is one of the easiest colours to shoot ..
for your fist time sprayin go medium to wet with your clear not tryin to flow it right out - with a good atomisation this will give you excellent results without any major solvent or shrinkage problems ..
any minor floors in your first jobs can easily be cut'n'buffed out and any major floor is easily sanded out and repainted with black ..

good luck .. :biggrin:

Last edited by sabre at Sep 28 2003, 05:54 PM

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
black has pro's and cons.

pro's because to get an even tone its easy, when spraying lighter colors your out to achieve even coverage and minimal discoloration.

with dark colors like black you don't have those issues, but the issue you do have is that any flaw will show up.

you need to have your body work prepped well, and you need to spray in an an environment free of debris(of course this is true when painting period), because black is a highly reflective color any contaminants on the surface will show more readily.

the mistake most first timers make with black is spray a heavy coat. the good thing about black is you can wet sand any imperfections related to paint coverage.

perhaps spraying a single stage will be easier for your first efforts.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Originally posted by shredder130@Sep 27 2003, 10:06 AM
i wouldn't go with black if your body work isn't up to par, white paint hides mistakes well ..........

my 2 cents
yes black shows all the ding and marcks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts