LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I try and fix this or replace the whole fender? If fix...how would I go about doing it. I'm about to start re-doing my car and due to lack of fundage I'm goin to have to do about 98.235% of it in my front yard, and I've never done up a whole car. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
that is very fixable----but the question is do you want to do it??? you can probably find a clean fender in a salvage yard for no more than $40.00....how far are you going to go on the car-----if your going to take it apart and euro it just replace it-----the toughest part about that kind of dent is re-doing the body lines.........good luck -paz!

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Aug 1 2003, 05:00 PM
that is very fixable----but the question is do you want to do it??? you can probably find a clean fender in a salvage yard for no more than $40.00....how far are you going to go on the car-----if your going to take it apart and euro it just replace it-----the toughest part about that kind of dent is re-doing the body lines.........good luck -paz!
I want to learn paint and body...what better way than doing it right? I'm not going to euro it, but I do want the single head lights. I wanna do mine like Greg has his cutlass...custome grille (not euro) and updated lights. The car itself is gonna be a driver/street hopper. Gonna do it up cali style, like cars from Majestics...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by BUD+Aug 1 2003, 02:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BUD @ Aug 1 2003, 02:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife@Aug 1 2003, 05:00 PM
I want to learn paint and body...what better way than doing it right? I'm not going to euro it, but I do want the single head lights. I wanna do mine like Greg has his cutlass...custome grille (not euro) and updated lights. The car itself is gonna be a driver/street hopper. Gonna do it up cali style, like cars from Majestics...[/b][/quote]
oh......so then you are going to take off the back bumper and make the car stand on it's trunk????????? if your going to do that----then why fix that little dent---your going to get much bigger ones making it a hopper---------- :biggrin: peace

Last edited by lowriderlife at Aug 1 2003, 02:27 PM

·
Premium Member
9,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Aug 1 2003, 05:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Aug 1 2003, 05:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2003, 02:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife
@Aug 1 2003, 05:00 PM

I want to learn paint and body...what better way than doing it right? I'm not going to euro it, but I do want the single head lights. I wanna do mine like Greg has his cutlass...custome grille (not euro) and updated lights. The car itself is gonna be a driver/street hopper. Gonna do it up cali style, like cars from Majestics...
oh......so then you are going to take off the back bumper and make the car stand on it's trunk????????? if your going to do that----then why fix that little dent---your going to get much bigger ones making it a hopper---------- :biggrin: peace[/b][/quote]
:roflmao: Naw naw...guess I wasn't clear. I making the car itself Majestics quality...like Big Rich's Monte, Roblbc's 64, Big John's Elco. but with some good hopping. It won't stand up at all, it will go up and come back down everytime, with both bumpers...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by BUD+Aug 1 2003, 02:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BUD @ Aug 1 2003, 02:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2003, 02:09 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--lowriderlife
@Aug 1 2003, 05:00 PM

oh......so then you are going to take off the back bumper and make the car stand on it's trunk????????? if your going to do that----then why fix that little dent---your going to get much bigger ones making it a hopper---------- :biggrin: peace
:roflmao: Naw naw...guess I wasn't clear. I making the car itself Majestics quality...like Big Rich's Monte, Roblbc's 64, Big John's Elco. but with some good hopping. It won't stand up at all, it will go up and come back down everytime, with both bumpers...[/b][/quote]
WELL THAT IS GOOD NO KNOW BRO-----OKAY HERE WE GO-----IF YOU TAKE THE FENDER OFF IT WILL BE MUCH EASIER TO KNOCK THAT DENT OUT BUT FENDERS ARE HARDER TO WORK W/ THIS WAY------AKWARD---USE A HAMMER AND DOLLY------TO BANG IT OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE---USE THE HAMMER THE HAS THE FLAT ALMOST CHISEL LOOKING HEAD ON ONE SIDE--USE THIS ON THE BODY LINE AREA----MAKE SURE NOT TO MAKE IT GO HIGHER THAT THE REST OF THE FENDER--AT THIS POINT I WOULD PUT IT BACK ON THE CAR---AND THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO APPLY BODY FILLER TO GET IT PERFECT----USE A LONG BOARD TO SAND IT SMOOTH----CUT IT W/ 40---THEN BRING IT DOWN W/ 80---I USUALLY WILL PRIMER IT UP AT THIS POINT AND GUIDE COAT IT---THEN HIT IT W/ 150 OR 320 WET AND DRY TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS----------BODY WORK IS JUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE,AND MORE PACTICE---BUT YOU HAVE TO GET THE BASIC INFO FROM SOMEWHERE ABOUT MIXING FILLER ETC----GOOD LUCK HOMIE---PEACE

Last edited by lowriderlife at Aug 1 2003, 02:56 PM

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
by the way..........as far as filler go's i would get some of the good stuff not the el cheapo BONDO...............

you can get some evercoat body filler for a couple bucks more than bondo...........and it sands alot easier

also i am not really new at bodywork i mean i went to school for autobody/paint

but i am still sorta learning dammit the shit is hard........

anywayz couldn't he just use some GLAZING PUTTY to fill that scratch?????

·
Registered
949 Posts
work It out with chisel end of hammer and dolly working from the outside in ,, when straight ,, sand down that area with 120 and other are that will get paint with 600 ,, apply 4 coats 2part high build epoxy primer over the repaired area ,, when dry block out with 320 then 600 and paint ,, any little imperfections in the epoxy can be filled with glazing putty but I wouldn't recommend it for filling dents ........!!

Last edited by sabre at Aug 2 2003, 09:33 PM

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by BUD@Aug 1 2003, 03:49 PM
Should I try and fix this or replace the whole fender? If fix...how would I go about doing it. I'm about to start re-doing my car and due to lack of fundage I'm goin to have to do about 98.235% of it in my front yard, and I've never done up a whole car. Thanks for any help

buddy thats very fixable you dont need to replace it but if u dont have the money for body work or just dont want 2 do repleace it

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Aug 2 2003, 12:04 AM
by the way..........as far as filler go's i would get some of the good stuff not the el cheapo BONDO...............

you can get some evercoat body filler for a couple bucks more than bondo...........and it sands alot easier

also i am not really new at bodywork i mean i went to school for autobody/paint

but i am still sorta learning dammit the shit is hard........

anywayz couldn't he just use some GLAZING PUTTY to fill that scratch?????
you never want to apply body filler thicker that 1/8 of an inch if possible---in this case w/ a little work you can get behind that dent and push it out and get it closer to normal before have to apply any filler----so it would be best to do it like this----but like i said lots easier to replace and probably around the same cost-----1 quart of evercoat putty is like $20-$30----plus all the tools-------since he wants to learn i would tell him to maybe replace the panel and use the old one to practice on-----peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts