LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys what fluid do you use? reason is im useing a hydraulic fluid.but i was just looking through the tech section on the pro hopper site and it sez to use motor oil.is this right.???????? :0 :0

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Originally posted by suitcase@Aug 4 2005, 10:21 AM
hi guys what fluid do you use? reason is im useing a hydraulic fluid.but i was just looking through the tech section on the pro hopper site and it sez to use motor oil.is this right.???????? :0  :0
[snapback]3540498[/snapback]​
Motor oil is all I use. It's also recommended by Pro Hopper and Showtime. Hydraulic fluid works fine as well but is more pricey. And in desperate times when I was stuck in the middle of nowhere I used power steering fluid. Worked just fine.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
when they say motor oil they mean sae 30nd ... you want to use non detergent cause that detergent stuff will eat up seals ...

i also get mine at the dollar general / family dollar stores a dollar a quart.. and its the same stuff the gas station sells for 2.89 a quart...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was told to use hydro oil AW32 but my pumps work much slower and would not extend all the way, I switched back to motor oil 10w30 gtx and every thing is fine. why must it be non detergent oil? If I change the oil every 2-3 months by flushing it with new oil what would be wrong? Also does any body run inline filters?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Shit. I thought Hydraulics...Hydraulic OIL...

I'm gonna give regular engine oil a shot. Save a few bucks :cool:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
r and o - aw 32 is much better

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've always used thin hydraulic oil, I assume it would be better, but this time I used SAE 30wt oil, it's dirt cheap and it seems to me to not smell as strong.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
r&o hyd. fluid....... autozone 5 gal.$18 nd30 is a little thin for me but dosent thicken up like the r&o when it's cold....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
if you pay a thousand or so dollars on a setup, whats 25 dollars for 5 gallons of good hydraulic oil?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Aug 8 2005, 12:46 AM~3559504
you all can afford $2000 hydro setups but cheap out on $20 worth of the proper oil?
I plumbed my setup this time at like 4 am, grabbed some 30 wt oil from the gas station. :dunno: works fine, and I guess prohopper reccomends it, so I don't see what the big deal is. I'm not in a hurry to change it out, I could care less as long as it works. I realise that's what hydraulic oil is meant for, but I don't get why people are so uptight about it, I've seen it in like a dozen signatures on here.

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
Originally posted by 81delta@Aug 6 2005, 12:09 AM~3550952
Shit. I thought Hydraulics...Hydraulic OIL...

I'm gonna give regular engine oil a shot. Save a few bucks :cool:

not just regular oil,make sure it says Non-Detergent, most stuff you see for cars is detergent.

but walmart did have big 5 gallon buckets for like 15 bucks (for tractors and crap if you go lookin for it)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts