LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Huh? Turn it as in like chuck-it-up in a lathe to remove material, like turn some rotors or just rotate it so you can look at the ring-gear under the car?

If its the latter you're referring to then yes. Remove the spark plugs, put on some gloves, eat some Wheaties, get under the car, grab the s.o.b. and rotate it :dunno:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tested my starter today, starters fine. i was told to examine the flywheel to see if it has any broken teeth. i looked underneith where the starter goes into the flywheel and i cant see many teeth so i need to turn it to see if there are any broken.

·
OHH YEEEAH!!!!
1,713 Posts
Oh, well if you want to do it the lazy way just bump the starter a little, crawl under the car and inspect the newly visible teeth. Mark it with a piece of chalk before you start so you'll know when you've seen all the gears.

If the car starts up easily, ya might want to disconnect the ignition so you don't screw up and accidentally start the engine.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
you can put vise grips on the thinner part past the teeth and it works like a handle for leverage. Doesnt fuck up the teeth any and its fairly easy to turn. Make sure you turn it the correct way the engine turns only!

·
Registered
989 Posts
long screwdriver or prybar

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a V 6, so the flywheel is on the driver side, would it turn towards the front of the car or the back?

Clockwise or Counter clockwise

·
Registered
989 Posts
ohhhh, its a fwd......have fun with that, wont be hard to inspect the flywheel but if it needs replaced good luck

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
JUST USE A SOCKET AND A RACHET AT THE HARMONIC BALANCER/PULLEY BOLT.

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by kandylac@Dec 29 2008, 10:36 PM~12556075
JUST USE A SOCKET AND A RACHET AT THE HARMONIC BALANCER/PULLEY  BOLT.
x2, that's the easiest way to do it since the starter is already out. If possible, just have someone else turn the engine with the ratchet and just lay under there and watch the teeth go by. If any are broken, then it's time to pull either the engine or trans to replace it.

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by kandylac@Dec 29 2008, 10:36 PM~12556075
JUST USE A SOCKET AND A RACHET AT THE HARMONIC BALANCER/PULLEY  BOLT.

i concur

1 - 15 of 15 Posts