LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions on a good beginner setup... It will go in an 81 Coupe Deville, and It will be my very first hydro setup.

I'll be installing it myself, so I'm not looking for anything to crazy... just a good beginner setup, so I can do FBSS...

Basically, It will be a setup so I can learn, and start to understand the basics of hydraulics, as I have little understanding of exactly how it all goes to together.

Although I'm pretty mechanically inclined, where I come from, a lowrider with hydro's is one in every 1 million cars, and I'm really not kidding... therfore I'm sure you can understand why I have very little experience with hydraulics.

If any of you might be interested in helping me out, by getting me a good deal on what I need, and maybe helping me online when I do the install... I'd be happy to try and find any parts you might need at my local junk yards, and ship them out to you... it's really about the most I can do...

Here, the junkyards are like an untapped resource for classic car parts, as nobodys really that interested in them... most everyone heres into rice...

I dont plan to order a setup until after October 1st this year, and my budget is about $1000 - $1500 Canadian... The install wont happen until early March - April, of 2006.

I have alot more to say, but I'll wait until if, and when, I get some responses in this thread before going any further with this.

Thanks alot...

:cool:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
:uh: Man, aaahhhhh, ok......1st, as a simple beginner kit, start w/ a 2 pump competition kit w/ 4 italian dumps & a 10 switch pre-wired switch box, coil-over rear set-up w/ 12" cylinders & powerballs for the rear. You'll want 8" cylinders for the frt. I'd do 6 group 31 batts., (preferablly sealed batts.).
Coils- get 4 tons for the frt. & 3 tons for the rear. This will ride on the rough side. The reason I'm saying this on the coils is b/c if you upgrade later, you don't have to buy new coils.
Thats a good starting point..... plus metal & wiring.

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
do what i did for a beginner setup, 3 pumps 4 (italian) dumps 4 switches. start off basic, 4 batts, i have a chain bridge, pace your self, you dont need 10 switches. i later up graded to a 9 switch box, just cuzz it was from porkys

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
stick with two pumps, less to break and will give you the basic moves, you can add a third later, i agree with what dreday is saying, you will also need access to a welder and some "not so basic" tools, stuff most people don't have at the house......
that and layitlow saved in your favorites and i think you will be o.k.

p.s. if you can find me a set of good hood hinges off a 68-72 a-body i will pay you or even trade parts. i have anything you might need laying around. good luck

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dreday, I'll be taking your advice on the setup... I gotta ask though, whats an Italian dump? And what do you mean by "6 group 31 batts"?

Because I dont really plan on keeping the car to long, I dont think I'll ever upgrade the hydraulics, should I maybe go with smaller coils? Also is there a kit u could suggest that will have everything you said, or will I need to peice it together?

Thanks,

dough916, I'll keep an eye open for you the next time I go to the yard, I probably wont be going anytime real soon cause I'm pretty busy with other stuff... But I'll definatley keep it in mind.

Like I said, I wont be able to get a setup till early October, maybe we could make a deal then on something?

Thanks.

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
this is an italian, "oil systems dump" i love them, although it is all i have ever used

Attachments

·
Member # 1,077
22,645 Posts
in use

Attachments

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by pimpoldscutlass81@Aug 25 2005, 05:48 PM~3693026
this is an italian, "oil systems dump" i love them, although it is all i have ever used
:cool: What year and model is your Lac?

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Originally posted by M.C. BIG BALLS@Aug 25 2005, 06:33 PM~3692923
Thanks dreday, I'll be taking your advice on the setup... I gotta ask though, whats an Italian dump? And what do you mean by "6 group 31 batts"?

Because I dont really plan on keeping the car to long, I dont think I'll ever upgrade the hydraulics, should I maybe go with smaller coils? Also is there a kit u could suggest that will have everything you said, or will I need to peice it together?
An Italian dump is just a brand or kind of dump. Better than the Delta dumps that usually come w/ the basic kit, but also not the top of the line. Theres little or no difference in price between the Delta & Italian, but it'll save you alot of grief in the long run in reliability & durability.

Group 31 is the type of battery you need by group#. Their also called Marine Deep Cycle batteries. I say sealed b/c that'll save you the mess of battery acid leaking out the vents on non-sealed. I recommend 6 of them. However, it'll work w/ 4, 6 just makes it move quicker.

You can go w/ a smaller coil. If you don't think you'll upgrade, you could do 3 tons up frt. & 2 tons in the rear. I personally wouldn't recommend anything smaller on the frt. of a Coupe DeVille than a 3ton.

All manufacturers have a descent competition kit, which is the one you want, except CCE- which is garbage & customer service is non-existant. Never buy the basic/ novice/ beginner/ whatever, bottom kit. The competition kit will be the next step up & not really meant for competition. I personally like REDS. They have quality products & great customer service. Also, don't go by the web-site prices call & talk to them...ask for Pnut or Scott. You can tell them Dre sent you. ;)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by dreday@Aug 25 2005, 06:02 PM~3693120
An Italian dump is just a brand or kind of dump. Better than the Delta dumps that usually come w/ the basic kit, but also not the top of the line. Theres little or no difference in price between the Delta & Italian, but it'll save you alot of grief in the long run in reliability & durability.

Group 31 is the type of battery you need by group#. Their also called Marine Deep Cycle batteries. I say sealed b/c that'll save you the mess of battery acid leaking out the vents on non-sealed. I recommend 6 of them. However, it'll work w/ 4, 6 just makes it move quicker.

You can go w/ a smaller coil. If you don't think you'll upgrade, you could do 3 tons up frt. & 2 tons in the rear. I personally wouldn't recommend anything smaller on the frt. of a Coupe DeVille than a 3ton.

All manufacturers have a descent competition kit, which is the one you want, except CCE- which is garbage & customer service is non-existant. Never buy the basic/ novice/ beginner/ whatever, bottom kit. The competition kit will be the next step up & not really meant for competition. I personally like REDS. They have quality products & great customer service. Also, don't go by the web-site prices call & talk to them...ask for Pnut or Scott. You can tell them Dre sent you. ;)
Sweet... thanks alot dre... I'm getting excited now to get the setup in my hands :cool: I think I got all the info I need for one day, although I'm sure I'll have more questions later... I feel like you have all definatley got me pointed in the right direction and I really appreciate all your guys time and advice. :thumbsup:

Dre, If I end up going through Reds and getting a good deal through your contacts, I'll grab you a part or something you might need from them, to say thanks.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by dreday@Aug 25 2005, 06:18 PM~3693218
No problem, just tell Pnut I sent you & that hes a sissy. :biggrin:
haha, ok... is that how u pronounce his name? Like Peanut?

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Originally posted by M.C. BIG BALLS@Aug 25 2005, 07:21 PM~3693241
is that how u pronounce his name? Like Peanut?
Yeah. Seriously though, I joke alot but Pnut is a great guy...I think the world of him. He'll take care of you the best he can w/o just giving it to you.
The # is 1(800) REDS-321

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by dreday@Aug 25 2005, 06:25 PM~3693260
Yeah. Seriously though, I joke alot but Pnut is a great guy...I think the world of him. He'll take care of you the best he can w/o just giving it to you.
The # is 1(800) REDS-321
Ok man, sounds good... I'll be giving Reds a call start of October :cool:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
where you from mang? you talkin canadian dollars sounds like you are canadian.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I think you should go with a Showtime basic 2 pump set up. I installed one for a freind that didnt have any experiance with hydraulics, its been over a year and he hasnt had any problems.
You dont have to buy coils right now you could always buy them later ,and you dont have to but springs for the rear, the stock front coils cut down to 4 or 5 turns will work fine. Also take your time with the battery rack.
You wont have to renforce the car if you stay away from standing 3 , and any major hopping but you may want to reinforce the upper A-arm mounts and rear spring perches,the are pretty weak.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Originally posted by ExplicitDesignz@Aug 25 2005, 07:36 PM~3693358
i`ll second that on the part about Red's has AWESOME customer service!!! Great guys to deal wit.    :cool:
;)

I agree w/ some of what Ulysses is saying, like the spring perches are weak... but deal w/ that after you got your parts & are ready for the install. None of what hes saying is major, so don't worry about that stuff just yet.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Aug 25 2005, 06:28 PM~3693279
I think you should go with a Showtime basic 2 pump set up. I installed one for a freind that didnt have any experiance with hydraulics, its been over a year and he hasnt had any problems.
  You dont have to buy coils right now you could always buy them later ,and you dont have to but springs for the rear, the stock front coils cut down to 4 or 5 turns will work fine. Also take your time with the battery rack.
  You wont have to renforce the car if you stay away from standing 3 , and any major hopping but you may want to reinforce the upper A-arm mounts and rear spring perches,the are pretty weak.
:cool: I'll check out Showtime as well... Although I think I'm convinced with Reds... I'm really just looking for the best deal I can get cause as MonsterPuff asked, yea I am Canadian, and being Canadian buying stuff from the states can be a real killer on the wallet...

I think I'm going to get the new coils right away as Dre suggested, cause I dont want to half ass it, and run into any problems... I'll take your advice and look into reinforcing the upper A-arm mounts and rear spring perches, last thing I want to do is spend a week installing all this stuff and breaking something on the first day...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts