LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, sporty, brian, hitman or any one else feel free to chime in and give some opinions on this idea as long as they aren't retarted. This is the rear space i have to work with, my buddy doesnt want to put any speakers under the seat where they can get kicked or have junk pile on them, he wants to keep the integrity of the console and all the factory panels so...

This is the space,

This is what i came up with and he likes the idea visually but im seccond guessing the ammount of airspace and power output of the amp with a single 8 ohm speaker on it.

Anywho, heres my sketch with some measurements keep in mind the amps are mirrored so the 500/1 is on one side and a 300/4 on the other. between the amps there is 7.5 inches externaly and between any other part of the box is about 12 inches externally.

Jl recommends 1.75 ft^3 ported tuned to 30hz, i can get roughly 1.5 ft^3 with out making the box into an L shape under the seat. When i did my own calculations with the speaker parameters at 1.5ft^3 i get an Fb of 34.14hz a ripple at 3.78 and an F3 at 38.14hz i was going to tune it at 35hz with a 3.5" pipe.

Heres the specs i came up with, if you cant read them i can type them just ask.

Soooo... basically, with all the techno numbers and before i start building this tomorrow do you all think that L'ing the box to get up to 2 ft^3 would even be worth it, even at 2 ft^3 the f3 only drops to from about 38 to 33hz, and being a single 8 ohm speaker on the 500/1 is this going to be worth all the extra effort.

Any input or ideas would be great

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
should have downfired the sub.... alot better sound and it would be protected

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by Pitbullx@Nov 28 2008, 11:27 PM~12284753
should have downfired the sub.... alot better sound and it would be protected
x2

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There really wasn't enough space to have the speaker down firing and raised off the floor and still be able to get the 1.5 cubes we found out later, and if we would have L'd the box there wouldn't be enough room for the port, the port is going to be on the driver side under the seat outside the box firing towards the side panel.

But either way... i still didn't think of down firing it in the beginning anyway lol..

Ill probably get most of this finished up on Monday at work since its been raining all day it needs a little more fiberglass to strengthen it up, ill put my buddy to work and get him to sand :biggrin:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

so thats pretty much it as far as the building portion, as close to 1.5 cubic feet as we could get, 233.75 sq inches of port area, tuned to 35 hz i think it turned out pretty good.

Tomorrow im gonna sand the few uneven spots down a little more, shoot it with some 2k primer make sure everything looks good and pick up some black paint, cut out some buety panels to cover under the seat and wire up the leds while my buddy runs the amp and hi/low converter wiring.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
that excellent....... plz tell me that he is paying you for this.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by lbx2g@Dec 6 2008, 04:55 AM~12351738
that excellent....... plz tell me that he is paying you for this.

:cool: in form of many .... many breakfast sandwiches and gas station delicatessens, and well i told him what materials to buy and the last week at work we have had nothing to do, so i did it on the clock at 12/hr :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
looks good. :biggrin:

·
Registered
921 Posts

this picture confused me.... did you just put resin right on top of the tape? like with out any fiberglass?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by droptoutzx2@Dec 7 2008, 02:37 AM~12357769

this picture confused me.... did you just put resin right on top of the tape? like with out any fiberglass?
theres 1 layer of fiberglass matte there layed over the tape, you can see the sort of uneven texture if you look close enough. i only needed 1 layer since it was just to give a little lip around the floor line since it sloped down a little around the edges and the bottom of the box is wood

Tomorrow im gonna try to hit it with some 2k primer, and cut beuty panels to cover the under seat area since i found some tan leather ill never use. also, i found some scrap 1/8th " plexi glass were gonna make a glowing window that is pressure fit into the back seat arm rest spot most likely with the JL logo or sheriff badge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts