LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Yall.I got a 65 Impala Ragtop.I am gonna be getting my 3 Pump 8 battery setup installed by Hollywood Bob over the winter.I am gonna get my Frame reinforcements but I didnt plan on getting the whole frame wrapped just the main spots.What is the most Important parts on the frame that should get reinforced?Like what are the stress points?

Eazy

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I'm certainley no expert, but I'm sure you have to reinforce the frame arches, and the A-arms will need it too.
Don't quote me, I just thought I'd give you an idea.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
every part of the frame that ain't boxed (c-channel) will need to get boxed up at least along with the rear trailing arms.
allso wrap the crossmember and the rear humps...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Kind of a physics thing that I've been learning in engineering classes, and that is that loads or stresses are "attracted" to the stiff parts of whatever you have

for ex, say if you have a straight steel box (like a frame rail on a car) and wrap half of it with 1/4" plate steel, Now put stress on that frame rail and it will be more prone to bend or break at the half way point where the 1/4" plating stops, this is because the forces that would normally be carried by the entire frame rail and uniformly distributed, now will be concentrated at the mid point where the different sections of stiffness meet

I dunno, I guess my point is it's better to do the entire frame than just sections, but I guess that's sorta common knowledge around these parts :dunno:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by cadillacart@Oct 19 2003, 05:00 AM
Kind of a physics thing that I've been learning in engineering classes, and that is that loads or stresses are "attracted" to the stiff parts of whatever you have

for ex, say if you have a straight steel box (like a frame rail on a car) and wrap half of it with 1/4" plate steel, Now put stress on that frame rail and it will be more prone to bend or break at the half way point where the 1/4" plating stops, this is because the forces that would normally be carried by the entire frame rail and uniformly distributed, now will be concentrated at the mid point where the different sections of stiffness meet

I dunno, I guess my point is it's better to do the entire frame than just sections, but I guess that's sorta common knowledge around these parts :dunno:
you sure are right about that one.
just plating one part of the frame makes that exact part way more stiff than the rest of the frame and that will make the stress hittin' that part to "travel" over it and hit the first non reinforced part with even more force.

just plating the rear humps and crossmember and so on (the weakest parts) works fine if you aint running a big set up with lottsa volts/batts n' so on...

plating the frame with whatever thickness you choose, -do it front to back, thats the cleanest way by far, but like i said just plating stresspoints will work on small setups, but theres absolutely no use to go any bigger than 3/16" at max if the rest of the frame is stock and even that is overkill.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just talk to Bob about it, he won't teel you anything wrong, he is one of the colest cats in the business, hell bring him some Old Style, he might cut you a deal.. and ask him where my motors are...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts