LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive wrapped four frames...complete boxed 1/4 but the other day I saw someone had one wrapped on here 3/8 on the outside and insides of a 64 impala convert frame none on top or bottom of frame.....I know a convert frame has factory re-enforcement but what do you all think about that?...im bout to wrap my convert I just bought and thought ...if that is good enuff...I wouldn't mind knocking off some time...by doing it that way...any info is appreciated...just trying to get some other insight on this subj...thanks

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by SirTomeygun@Feb 13 2010, 06:38 PM~16604060
ive wrapped four frames...complete boxed 1/4 but the other day I saw someone had one wrapped on here 3/8 on the outside and insides of a 64 impala convert frame none on top or bottom  of frame.....I know a convert frame has factory re-enforcement but what do you all think about that?...im bout to wrap my convert I just bought and thought ...if that is good enuff...I wouldn't mind knocking off some time...by doing it that way...any info is appreciated...just trying to get some other insight on this subj...thanks

even though the frame is done in 3x8 on inside and outside, ive seen them split from the factory seams since they are only welded in sections..the whole frame isnt welded....if ur gonna wrap up ur vert frame..i myself prefer 1/4, but you can definately still do 3x16 on the entire frame

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
I'm no structural engineer,but I like to have all the sides connected.

I'm going to find some deflection program tonight and post some numbers with different thicknesses. Not that end to end deflection is the kind of stress lowrider frames see, but it'll give some pretty good ideas still.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Originally posted by SirTomeygun@Feb 13 2010, 08:38 PM~16604060
ive wrapped four frames...complete boxed 1/4 but the other day I saw someone had one wrapped on here 3/8 on the outside and insides of a 64 impala convert frame none on top or bottom  of frame.....I know a convert frame has factory re-enforcement but what do you all think about that?...im bout to wrap my convert I just bought and thought ...if that is good enuff...I wouldn't mind knocking off some time...by doing it that way...any info is appreciated...just trying to get some other insight on this subj...thanks
sounds good in theory,but the fact that your welding 3/8" to factory thin steel will actually make the factory parts that are uncovered weaker-thats some heavy shit to just hang on frame sides,plus the heat you would have to use for 3/8" would pretty much melt thru factory frame making it paper thin in alot of spots-all 4 sides with thinner steel is best for strenth and integrity because all the new steel is connected literally making it one solid piece :cool:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my last frame was 1/4 inch and it did seem good stuff Just figured 3/8 was better. But yah that center of the frame is pieced together like you say so had thought about wrapping center portion. As well. So with the factory reinforcement on top of the rear wheel are. Should I just reinforce all around that and leave that area alone? Hmmm

·
FLEXOMATIC EQUIPPED
3,609 Posts
Originally posted by SirTomeygun@Jul 15 2010, 11:49 AM~18053011
Appreciate all the info.  So guess everyones in agreement about 1/4 metal.  Anyone else got some input.  ?  Thanks
My vert is wrapped in all 1/4" so I'd say go for it! ;)

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
3/8 on the back is for weight not reinforcement

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny_mumbles@Jul 15 2010, 05:02 PM~18054994
3/16 or 1/4 all around, or 1/4 inch on the sides, and 3/16 on the top and bottom..
on mine i did 1/4 on the rear inner and outer arches,front crossmember and spring pockets and did 3/16 on the rest

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Originally posted by NY-BOSSMAN@Jul 15 2010, 09:00 PM~18057556
on mine i did 1/4 on the rear inner and outer arches,front crossmember and spring pockets  and did 3/16 on the rest
:thumbsup:

·
'ONLY TAKES ONE'
3,012 Posts
SHIT I AINT EVEN GONNA LIE..... I WRAPPED MY FRAME WITH 1/4 AND 3/16..I KNOW FOR SURE I GOT THE SIDES WITH 1/4 AND THE REST WELL IT HAS 1/4 AND 3/16...HA HA..IT WAS ALL FREE METAL AND IT WAS MY FIRST FRAME JOB..NOT TO MENTION IT WAS DURING WINTER TIME AND GARAGE WAS FULL OF CAR STUFF..SO I WAS DOIN IT OUTSIDE JUST TRYING TO GET THAT BABY WRAPPED AND DONE WITH....U KNOOOOWWWW :biggrin:

·
S.S. MOTHER CHAPTER .PREZ
7,788 Posts
3/16 IS FINE BRO....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Feb 15 2010, 12:14 AM~16615686
even though the frame is done in 3x8 on inside and outside, ive seen them split from the factory seams since they are only welded in sections..the whole frame isnt welded....if ur gonna wrap up ur vert frame..i myself prefer 1/4, but you can definately still do 3x16 on the entire frame

:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts