LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my fried and me were arguing today that free airs were meant for FREE AIR. he was saying that they are meant for ported boxes thats why they are freeair, cause i was telling him if he ran them free air then they would be louder than in his, pre fabd ported bandpass. so who is right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
personally, I say neither of you are right

free air subs (like the bazooka ones) are freeair, but what you have to do is seperate the front wave from the rear wave. if you put them on a board that is seperating your cab from your trunk, your trunk will act like an enclosure for them...

it doesn't really matter what kind of box you put them in, but like I said, all you have to do is just seperate the waves

·
do it in a datsun!!
14,491 Posts
Originally posted by Mac2118@Oct 8 2003, 06:38 PM
personally, I say neither of you are right

free air subs (like the bazooka ones) are freeair, but what you have to do is seperate the front wave from the rear wave. if you put them on a board that is seperating your cab from your trunk, your trunk will act like an enclosure for them...

it doesn't really matter what kind of box you put them in, but like I said, all you have to do is just seperate the waves
exactly,
and ussually this cuts your the rms in half :(
but it does save alot of room

·
Registered
807 Posts
Free air is a misleading term. What actually is meant by it in this case is "infinite baffle". Which as someone already pointed out, means not enclosing the woofer in a box, rather, simply mounting it in baffle so as to seperate the front and rear waves and avoid cancellation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts