LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would love to have something, but i dont need all the moves...

so im looking into just a front and back kit.... or to piece together a kit.

not sure what to look for, what parts. like what size tank and compresser and all that shit.
maybe some of you have some extra/old parts laying around??

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
if you're gonna be soft on the switches, get a small compressor (viair) and a 5 gallon tank, with 4 valves for front and back...
get decent bags though, and good size line, you can always upgrade the tanks and compressor later, and resell the original stuff, but it would be damn difficult to get any money out of used lines and fittings

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, now its just the task of finding them for the best price.
are there some good online websites? maybe even ebay?
good size line- 1/2" or 5/8" i think it is? also, what are some decent bags?

i guess while im at it- how much drop do you think ill have? its a 91 caddy fleetwood FWD. would it depend on the bags how much drop and lift?

Last edited by Kartoon at Oct 3 2003, 05:33 AM

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
3/8 or 1/2 in. line
ebay is good
you might need strut bags for the caddy though and there not really cheap

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah, if you have struts up front you'll need strut bags. they ran about $500 a pair when i bought some a year or two ago. i think firestone just came out with a bag you can buy for $200 a pair and it will slide over your stock strut. That would be a lot cheaper :cool:

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by NeverFinished96@Oct 3 2003, 02:10 PM
Yeah, if you have struts up front you'll need strut bags. they ran about $500 a pair when i bought some a year or two ago. i think firestone just came out with a bag you can buy for $200 a pair and it will slide over your stock strut. That would be a lot cheaper :cool:
see, thats why i need to get my info straight so i can piece together.

where are the firestone bags available from?
in that case, would i need any brackets for the front?
also, should i make my own brackets, but i saw universal brackets- are those really universal? also, just welding the bag to the bracket then to the frame is pretty much the harderst part? i only got springs in the back so would the bags go right in the same place?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
call 888-380-2583 and ask for shorty...tell them you got the number from layitlow.com....

this place it good and reliable...when i get all my financial situations settled, im buyin my complete kit wit 4-link from them

tell them wat you want the car to do and they will tell you wat you need...if you dont wanna call the # then here we go:

if there are struts in the front then you gotta buy strut bags...(you can go to www.justairbagit-store.com, www.showtimehydraulics.com, www.deviouscustoms.com)
they will be expensive, like the dude said about $400 - $500 for 2...
i think you should get some slam specialites (a very popular air bag) for the back...you get like 11" of lift and dump...
(how low you will get depends on the installer i believe some1 correct me if im wrong...the installer will drop your car lets say 1" off the ground, so that will be how high it will be wit the bags dumped, then when you lift the bags you should be 12" off the ground..., idont know how low struts get you, a pretty decent high though none the less)

you can get slam specialties from www.slamspecialites.com
if all you wanna do is FS, the get (2) 2-way valves (parker, smc), 1 valve for front, 1 valve for back...
if you want speed get 1/2" valves if you want a lil speed but more ease, get 3/8" valves...
(you also can get these parts from the websites)
get a 7 gallon tank
viar 450
1/2" DOT air lines
a pressure switch like 150psi, or 175psi
2 switches mounted some where in the car.
you need rear brackets if you go wit airbags in the back
you need the hoses and fittings
maybe a c-notch or get crunk and get a monster notch (lol)

yo it will be alot betta if you jus call that guy and explain to him wat you want...his prices are reasonable...

hope i helped
o/\/e

Last edited by CuttieBuddie at Oct 3 2003, 01:49 PM

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, what should i be looking to spend. because thats the biggest question right now.
can you give a list out of what parts would cost on average, because since i am new to this then i have no idea whats a good deal.

also, if i were to get one valve instead of to, i could hook it up so its pancake up and down correct? and then in the future if i wanted to hook up front and back i could just run another valve?

ok, you guys said how i will need strut bags on my FWD fleetwood. i went out and looked at the front suspension and its mounted horizontal... is that how struts are mounted? it has what looks like to be a bag and then a bar and then another bag.... i dont know if anything is helping, i can get a picture later tonight if you guys have no idea what im talking about.

Last edited by Kartoon at Oct 6 2003, 01:53 PM

·
Registered
650 Posts

This is a strut assembly. When its mounted in your car there is a spring around the silver part. If you go with the airbags that slip over the shaft, then they will take place of the spring. You will still have to make custom brackets for those airbags, but the company you guy them from will provide very detailed instructions on how to make them. If they dont, then I have some you can have.

If you go with custom made strut bags, which are the same price as the bags that slip over, then it will look just like this, just with a bag in the middle.

Last edited by Bumps N Jumps at Oct 6 2003, 03:05 PM

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by NeverFinished96@Oct 3 2003, 02:10 PM
Those bags are around 200 a piece not for a pair. If they were for a pair then they would be cheaper then slam specialties regular bags.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Bumps N Jumps+Oct 6 2003, 02:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bumps N Jumps @ Oct 6 2003, 02:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--NeverFinished96@Oct 3 2003, 02:10 PM
Yeah, if you have struts up front you'll need strut bags.  they ran about $500 a pair when i bought some a year or two ago.  i think firestone just came out with a bag you can buy for $200 a pair and it will slide over your stock strut.  That would be a lot cheaper  :cool:
Those bags are around 200 a piece not for a pair. If they were for a pair then they would be cheaper then slam specialties regular bags.[/b][/quote]
I could be off on the price but i know they are cheaper than $200 a piece. Call Firestone to find out for sure.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by NeverFinished96+Oct 6 2003, 03:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NeverFinished96 @ Oct 6 2003, 03:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Bumps N [email protected] 6 2003, 02:06 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--NeverFinished96
@Oct 3 2003, 02:10 PM
Yeah, if you have struts up front you'll need strut bags.  they ran about $500 a pair when i bought some a year or two ago.  i think firestone just came out with a bag you can buy for $200 a pair and it will slide over your stock strut.  That would be a lot cheaper  :cool:

Those bags are around 200 a piece not for a pair. If they were for a pair then they would be cheaper then slam specialties regular bags.
I could be off on the price but i know they are cheaper than $200 a piece. Call Firestone to find out for sure.[/b][/quote]
I've never heard of firestones strut bags. But the ones i was lookin at are right here http://www.universalairsuspension.com/doublestrut.html

These ones are 212.00 each and the double ones are just under 200.00

If you have a link for the firestones id like to see them, cus I need a pair of these!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally posted by Kartoon+Oct 6 2003, 06:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kartoon @ Oct 6 2003, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Bumps N Jumps@Oct 6 2003, 06:54 PM
You're lookin at the wrong thing man.  I can see the bottom of the strut in the first two pictures.

Heres your strut:

damn, guess i was way off huh.....
someone kick my ass[/b][/quote]
Hey its cool. Ya learn somethin new everyday ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts