LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my daily whenever I go to stop, if I hit my brakes hard then my front end will start shaking really bad. It will shake until I come to an almost complete stop. I checked my rotors, and I already replaced everything else. It doesn't do it all the time either. If anyone could give me a suggestion as to what it is that would be great.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I have replaced so far...Inner and outer tie rods, center link, adjust. sleeves, balljoints, wheel bearings. The idler arm and pitman arm is still good. I am wondering if it would be the gears in the gear box. I had the car up on jacks yesterday and Everything is still bolted tight and doesn't have any play in it , but I more play in my steering wheel than I should have. The only other thing that I can think of is the gearbox. Oh and it is on a g-body.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
if youre certain that the rotors arent warped, put the front up on jackstands and grab the tire and try to move it side to side, have someone look and see where the slop is..

Im not sure how the pitman arm is setup on your car, it could be worn..

if it is in the box, you can adjust the preload on those to a point...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the pitman and idler arms but, they both seem to be fine. I checked yesterday. I had someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and the wheel had to move kind of a lot before it would move the linkage. I have checked everything that I could think of but, I am lost now. How can you adjust the gear box on a cutty?

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
My 64 did that after I replaced the brake pads.....I bled the brakes and got some fluid on the inside of the rotors....It scarred me to, but eventually it dried up and the car will stop on a dime, no shakes. Try to wash the brakes down real good, then do some starting, stopping to get the fluid off.......let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by chevybubble@Jan 1 2004, 06:41 PM
if it does it only when you hit you brakes your rotors are warped and they need 2 b cut :cool:
That is what I was thinking at first but, you can definately tell that it is not the rotors. You can feel that the steering is loose.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by skandalouz@Jan 1 2004, 01:01 PM
TOO much negative caster!
Can you adjust that on a car with hydraulics? I know that you really can't do anything for the camber but, what about caster?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Jan 1 2004, 12:24 PM

How can I adjust the steering gear?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted+Jan 2 2004, 12:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10lifted @ Jan 2 2004, 12:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--bigdanmcintosh@Jan 1 2004, 12:24 PM

How can I adjust the steering gear?[/b][/quote]
a "screw" and locknut on the top or side of the box..

loosen the nut, and tighten the screw..

Im not sure how tight it sould be though, maybe do some research on it, Id hate to tell you make it real tight and then you box locks up...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its your wheel bearings, and be carefull it can be a very dangerous situation. If you have 13x7 rev wheels you can see that the wheel sits outboard of the rotor. this put enormous strain on the outer bearing. I have a monte carlo with the same problem. Use a higer temp grease and preload, preload, preload. Mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
ps the inner wheel bearing is usually fine

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
How can I adjust the steering gear?
a "screw" and locknut on the top or side of the box..

loosen the nut, and tighten the screw..

Im not sure how tight it sould be though, maybe do some research on it, Id hate to tell you make it real tight and then you box locks up...
[snapback]1480830[/snapback]​
[/quote]
i think its supposed to be like 15-20 inch lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts