LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, it's me again going on about shock absorbers! :uh:

Because of my front suspension arrangement I am going to have to make my own shock absorber mountings. The bottom mountings will be fine - I'll just use the common U-shaped bolt-on brackets for the bottom arm.

The top mountings are where I need some advice! I am going to use a pair of U-shaped mountings (as for bottom mountings) to physically locate the top of the shock absorber in the right place, but I'm not sure on the thickness of metal to use between the chassis and the top mounting - to take the load.

Because of the shape of the inner wing covering the horizontal surface of the chassis, and the angle of the shock absorber (leaning about 30 degrees back from vertical) I can't use one of the common universal top mountings. I will have to use a flat section of steel bar (or similar) welded to the chassis that rises up the surface of the inner wing above the chassis, then weld the top mounting to this.

Here's the question: What thickness of flat section steel (approximately 7" long) would be required to take the forces of a shock absorber in use, without having to rely on the inner wing taking any of the load? I know the inner wing could take some of the load load, but nowhere near enough to mount the top mounting directly onto it. I may bolt through to the inner wing as well, but I want all the load to be taken by the steel bar.

Thanks
:)

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 4 2003, 06:02 PM

·
Registered
261 Posts
if i am thinking the same as you are asking....

If you are looking for somthing to strengthening the inner wing..in order to mount ..U bracket..to take shock absorber..then 14 swg ( 2mm) mild steel plate (min would be 4" square) can be welded to either side of inner wing..

if you are asking how to extend front subframe (clip) upwards to carry u-bracket
then that needs to be a minium of 10 Swg ( 3mm ) with gussets for strengh.

if i am long way of what u asked..try to post picks..
i cant help about posting pics ....i havent got a clue about getting picks and shit in here .. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jjj,

You were thinking right! I didn't intend to mount directly onto the inner wing as such, but my mounting would at least be up against it; I was intending for the mounting that rises up from the chassis to be taking nearly all, if not all of the stress.

Thanks for your advice. I was guessing that I was going to need a mounting extension of 5mm thickness, so if I'll be okay to use that if you suggest a minimum of 3mm.

Locally I can get 50mm width steel bar in 5mm thickness, so I'll use that for my extension up to the top mounting.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay!

I'm ready to start designing! I'll get some pictures when I've got something worth photographing!

:cheesy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts