LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

FRONT WHEELS MAKING NOISE

668 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KILLA G 
#1 ·
IN MY 98 LINCOLN EVERYTIME I M RIDIN AROUND THERES ANOISE COMING I THINK FROM THE FRONT WHEELS I THINK.CAUSE I CHANGED THE SPINDLES MY FRIEND SAYS I PROABLY HAVE TO GREASE THEM UP THE SPINDLES HOW WOULD I DO THAT OR HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM CAUSE THE NOISE GOT LOUDER.

#2 ·
What kind of noise and does it happen constantly, only when braking, when turning? There's a lot that could cause noise but i doubt greasing anything is going to get rid of a noise that is only becoming louder. A few things to look at would be to make sure everything is tight, wheel bearings, bushings, sticking brakes, wheel not on correctly, loose spokes, and so on........

#3 ·
Originally posted by KILLA G@Mar 5 2008, 09:10 PM~10099963
IN MY 98 LINCOLN EVERYTIME I M RIDIN AROUND THERES ANOISE COMING I THINK FROM THE FRONT WHEELS I THINK.CAUSE I CHANGED THE SPINDLES MY FRIEND SAYS I PROABLY HAVE TO GREASE THEM UP THE SPINDLES HOW WOULD I DO THAT OR HOW CAN I FIX THE PROBLEM CAUSE THE NOISE GOT LOUDER.
since you changed the spindles, im assuming you repacked the wheel bearings with fresh grease and applied a good amount to the spindle before you put them back on?

#5 ·
If it's just one bearing thats going(will be gone soon), it'll usually make a helicopter like noise and get louder with speed or when there's more of a load on it. For example if your driver side wheel bearing was bad, then the noise would be more pronounced when making a right turn as there is more weight on it.

#6 ·
had a wheel bearing go out on me in a 78 monte. Going down the highway after getting my pay check to go fix it. THAT SUCKS! Wheel almost come all the way off. It layed over and locked up. Drivers side so it thru me in the on coming lane of traffic. Hub cap come off and hit a car I was meeting. :( Had about 2 threads of the spindle left b4 the whole wheel come off. Bent the spindle all to shit. NOT FUN AT ALL.

It started off t sounding like the brakes needed replaced. Then moved on to a more grinding noise. :angry:

#7 ·
yeah if you just thew it together without greasing it up good (should use new bearings and grease on a spindle change anyways ,saves headaches on down the road)and its making a noise kinda like you have a big truck tire on your front end id replace bearings and grease them good before you put em em-roll the bearings thru the grease so it gets inside the bearing good-if you ride it how it is (considering if it is your bearings)heat will eventually make them come apart and scrape up your spindle not to mention the heat possible warping your spindle-then you get to do the whole spindle change all over again :cool:

#9 ·
Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Mar 5 2008, 10:56 PM~10101121
If it's just one bearing thats going(will be gone soon), it'll usually make a helicopter like noise and get louder with speed or when there's more of a load on it. For example if your driver side wheel bearing was bad, then the noise would be more pronounced when making a right turn as there is more weight on it.
yeah thats the noise it makes i think.ill proably get it fix today

#10 ·
Originally posted by LowandBeyond@Mar 6 2008, 06:49 AM~10102309
had a wheel bearing go out on me in a 78 monte.    Going down the highway after getting my pay check to go fix it.    THAT SUCKS!    Wheel almost come all the way off.    It layed over and locked up.    Drivers side so it thru me in the on coming lane of traffic.  Hub cap come off and hit a car I was meeting.  :(    Had about 2 threads of the spindle left b4 the whole wheel come off.    Bent the spindle all to shit.  NOT FUN AT ALL. 
It started off t sounding like the brakes needed replaced.    Then moved on to a more grinding noise.    :angry:
i had all the lugs break off on the front wheel going down the road one time :0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.