LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im trying to get my pops (rip) old truck to run, the carb is good and clean its got gas the battery is fully chrged but when i pull the fuel line off the carb and try to start it, NOTHING not even a drop. i know its most likely the fuel pump, but i was hoping it was something easier like something electrical. anyway can you guys help me trouble shoot this. thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
man bein that old of a truck its more than likely a mechanical fuel pump and if so i can change that for ya in about 15 minutes....

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup yup, i was JUST looking at it, it wont be shit. just gotta go buy one, maybe sunday.

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IT WASNT THE FUEL PUMP!

i just put a brand new one on, and unless i somehow messed up the easiest task ever there is another problem, i had trouble geting the pushrod to sit inside the block so i could get the pump in but i did it but still no fuel coming through....

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Sep 25 2005, 04:03 PM~3881263
IT WASNT THE FUEL PUMP!

i just put a brand new one on, and unless i somehow messed up the easiest task ever there is another problem, i had trouble geting the pushrod to sit inside the block so i could get the pump in but i did it but still no fuel coming through....
check for some fucked up lines then maaannnnnn, is the pushrod fucked up? maybe the cam lobe worn down?

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pushrod seemed fine, it was a bitch, the ones ive seen the pushrod comes out of the block this one sat inside but i had to hold it back to slide the pump in place. already checked lines 2 times...its annoying cause im out of ideas

Attachments

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Sep 25 2005, 06:34 PM~3881368
the pushrod seemed fine, it was a bitch, the ones ive seen the pushrod comes out of the block this one sat inside but i had to hold it back to slide the pump in place. already checked lines 2 times...its annoying cause im out of ideas
did the rod move in and out as you cranked the eninge i am with foompala ... i spent 1200 to bore out my 87 bock with a roller cam only to find the cam for fuel was worn off ... (a simple over sight .electirc pumps are so nice)

other than that check the filters ... how long was the truck sitting, how old is the gas thats in it, is it soured... are you trying to pump the carb to see fuel maybe the float is stuck in a closed position ...

heres another idea .... remove the gas cap and try blowing air back thru the carb side (preferablly with a air nozzle)... or thru the tank and see if you get air on the one side or fuel on the other ..

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
1st check the pushrod as mentioned above, but if it was a pain to install then it was likely arleady pushing out. You can take it back off though and turn the engine (by hand) and the rod will change position

2nd pull the line that goes to the tank (AT THE FUEL PUMP) and put it directly in a jug of gas. Then, pull the line from the carb and see if gas goes from jug to line to carb. It should, if not, change fuel pump again. If it does, then put the line back on the carb. Turn over again, fuel will go into carb and the truck will start. If this happens, then you may have a kink in the gas line, or a large bit of trash or broken tube inside the tank (depending how gas is siphoned into fuel line) but either way the problem would be somewhere from the pump to the tank :)

Also, it takes quite a bit of turning to get fuel up to the carb sometimes. Maybe you just need to turn it over more?

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess it was joes explanation, i spent about 5 monutes cranking it after installing, i rechecked the firing order and all the lines, i went back to crank it with the line off the carb and there was gas everywhere. so beats the hell out of me.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Sep 26 2005, 01:12 PM~3885815
i guess it was joes explanation, i spent about 5 monutes cranking it after installing, i rechecked the firing order and all the lines, i went back to crank it with the line off the carb and there was gas everywhere. so beats the hell out of me.
your stressed uot man :(

time for a cigarette.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts