LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which fuel pressure regulator should I use? The car is an 84 Cadillac coupe with a 305 Chevy engine in it, it's all stock . Its using a Q-jet carb, and the original in-tank electric fuel pump. It runs good but if the car stalls and the key is still on the pump keeps pumping, so far its not a problem but that cant be good.

All the regulator at autozone have 1 "in" and 1 "out" will this work well enough or should I be looking for something else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,848 Posts
a regulator aint going to keep the pump from pumping, it just controls the fuel pressure that your pump is pumping, and reducing the pressure to a set amount to feed the carb.you pump running isnt going to hurt it,and most of them pulse pump and not continuosly pump,some cut off at a set pressure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 1 2005, 01:41 PM
a regulator aint going to keep the pump from pumping, it just controls the fuel pressure that your pump is pumping, and reducing the pressure to a set amount to feed the carb.you pump running isnt going to hurt it,and most of them pulse pump and not continuosly pump,some cut off at a set pressure
[snapback]3521529[/snapback]​
So the one from autozone is fine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by schmidt64@Aug 1 2005, 02:32 PM
all the fuel that the pumps keeps pumping just gets sent back to the tank via the return line
[snapback]3521912[/snapback]​
Thats the thing, the isnt a return line anymore only supply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
that car came with a carburator and an electric fuel pump :uh: :0 :dunno: i think that you might be getting way too much fuel pressure if you changed over from a fuel injected setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,540 Posts
just swap out the fuel pump with a carbed type fuel float assembly in the gas tank and use a mechanical <s>carb</s> fuel pump

(im assuming you went from FI to carbed and are trying to use the factory fuel pump on a carb)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 1 2005, 09:45 PM
just swap out the fuel pump  with a carbed type fuel float assembly in the gas tank and use a mechanical carb

(im assuming you went from FI to carbed and are trying to use the factory fuel pump on a carb)
[snapback]3524728[/snapback]​
Yeah the car had a 4100 [fuel injected] in it and I put the 305 in it. I cant use a mechanical fuel pump with it because the pump wont claer the frame.

As for the stock fuel pump making too much pressure, that may be but it runs better than it did when I had the mechnical pump on it. [ I had to make engine mounts for it to clear the frame]

Joe5pt0, are you saying to swap out the in-tank unit for another in tank unit, thats for a Carberated car? If so I dont think GM used electric pumps on Carberated cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Aug 2 2005, 03:37 PM

 
  Joe5pt0, are you saying to swap out the in-tank unit for another in tank unit, thats for a Carberated car? If so I dont think GM used electric pumps on Carberated cars.
[snapback]3528711[/snapback]​

no, that was a typo from me not reading what I was writing while hiding on LIL at work trying not to be seen :biggrin:

I meant to say mechanical fuel pump at the end of my statement instead of carb

i'll change it above to avoid confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 2 2005, 09:42 PM
no, that was a typo from me not reading what I was writing while hiding on LIL at work trying not to be seen :biggrin:

I meant to say mechanical fuel pump at the end of my statement instead of carb

i'll change it above to avoid confusion.
[snapback]3531165[/snapback]​
Thanks for clearing that up,but the mechanical one wont clear the frame
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
625 Posts
if it had fuel injection on it from the factory then theres got to be a return line hook up on the to pick up assembly. if you have to run a new one back to the tank and get the low pressure fuel regulator and hook it all up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by unkuthz@Aug 4 2005, 09:46 PM~3542973
if it had fuel injection on it from the factory then theres got to be a return line hook up on the to pick up assembly. if you have to run a new one back to the tank and get the low pressure fuel regulator and hook it all up.
YEA THATS THE QUESTION.

check uot summit dude. ive seen pressure regulators around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not looking for a low pressure fuel pump or regulator, I geuss im trying to find out which pressrue regulator some of you guys use. The car runs fine with the factory electric pump feeding the carb, but I dont have a pressure regulator on it to stop the pressure from bulding up if the car stalls or is idling for a long time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Aug 5 2005, 06:01 PM~3548035
Im not looking for a low pressure fuel pump or regulator, I geuss im trying to find out which pressrue regulator some of you guys use. The car runs fine with the factory electric pump feeding the carb, but I dont have a pressure regulator on it to stop the pressure from bulding up if the car stalls or is idling for a long time.
any pressure regulator will do then.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top