LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well one day after replacing a control arm my car wouldnt start, the problem was the carb wasnt getting any gas, so i took off the fuel pump, hooked up the port that goes to the gas tank up to a hose and put other end of the hose into a bucket filled with watter and manualy pumpd the pump with my hands, and the thing pumped the water perfectly,,so then i connected the fuel line the goes to the gas tank and started pumping and no gas came out, only once and a whilke a little sputter of gas but not much at all, i pumped and pumped and pumped and no gas would come out at all.
i just dont get it...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had to order one so a new one is coming. but im just thinking that if the old one works (it pumps the water just fine) i dont see how a new one will help. im thinking somehow gas inst coming out of the gas tank and through the lines because when i suck on the gas line only a shit load of fumes come out. the gas line inst pinched ether becase when i blow into the gas lineyou can hear the gas bumbling in the tank..

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
What year and make is this? If its carburated, I would have poured a little bit of fuel in the carburator and see if it runs a little then shuts off. I would have also disconected the line that goes into the carb from the fuel pump and see if its pumping (with the fuel pump on). you nees certain the pump to put out certain psi (higher on fuel injected vehicles) so the engine can run. The pump might work fine when it doesnt have the pressure to deal with, but may not make enough pressure once installed.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Gas is thinner than water. So it sounds like the pump seals are worn out. New pump should fix it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
my car woudn't start one day, it wsan't getting gas so i replaced the fuel pump=nothing, so i rebuilt the carb(needed to change jets anyway)=nothing
spent alot of time messing with spark=nothing

so grabed fuel line and blew into it and dicovered crack in the line back by the tank, it was sucking air the whole time.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by dough916@Nov 4 2004, 05:26 PM
so grabed fuel line and blew into it and dicovered crack in the line back by the tank, it was sucking air the whole time.
[snapback]2360559[/snapback]​
hehe, you must've been getting pretty desperate by this point :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts