LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car would not start the other day, cranked but that's it. Battery had plenty of juice so I figured it was the fuel pump. Today I tried again it started rigth away. My ? is do fuel pumps go out all at once or do they gradually start to not work? :confused: Maybe it's something else. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They usually start acting up before totally going out, but not always. Are you sure it was the fuel pump? When a car won't start you need to check the A,B,Cs of engine diagnostics... Air, Fuel, compression, and spark.

Next time it happens. Might just take the time to figure out why... First you know you have compression if the car runs at all and you almost always have air unless the filter is plugged up tight. I would check for spark first, then remove the fuel line and check for fuel. If all seems ok, maybe your not getting enough fuel or too much. When checking this out, does the car have a flooded smell? Take of the top off the air filter, watch for the carb to spray gas when the peddle is depressed (can run this by hand on the carb) or if fuel injected look for it to spray when cranking it. If Fuel injected have the pressure checked to verify fuel pump functionality.

If I had to take a wild guess on what happened by the description you gave, I would say you flooded it out. After sitting and having time to evaporate the excess fuel the car started right up. If you flood a car you can try two things, hold the peddle all the way down and crank it to allow more air in to evaporate or adjust the air/fuel ratio. Or, just let it sit and try it in about 5 minutes....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts