LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My Delta 88 has started blowing its heater fan fuses. It is supposed to have a 20 amp fuse, but I could only get 25 amp, so have been using them instead.

The fuses last anything between an hour and a few days, but as soon as I put a new one in I can smell the fuse box getting hot :0 !

I don't think it is a short circuit, due to the way in which the fuses are failing. They seem to get hot, then blow at random. The heater fan runs smoothly without any momentary cut-outs or speed-ups.

I tried a 35 amp fuse in there and that blew too.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Dec 14 2003, 05:29 PM
Hello!

My Delta 88 has started blowing its heater fan fuses. It is supposed to have a 20 amp fuse, but I could only get 25 amp, so have been using them instead.

The fuses last anything between an hour and a few days, but as soon as I put a new one in I can smell the fuse box getting hot :0 !

I don't think it is a short circuit, due to the way in which the fuses are failing. They seem to get hot, then blow at random. The heater fan runs smoothly without any momentary cut-outs or speed-ups.

Any ideas?

Your problem is one of many things but the first that come to mind are

#1 - bad ground

#2 - Your motor is going/is bad

#3 - Somewhere in your wiring, a wire is broken or good contact is not being made!

L8

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 1 LO 64+Dec 14 2003, 09:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1 LO 64 @ Dec 14 2003, 09:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--M-827@Dec 14 2003, 05:29 PM
Hello!

My Delta 88 has started blowing its heater fan fuses.  It is supposed to have a 20 amp fuse, but I could only get 25 amp, so have been using them instead.

The fuses last anything between an hour and a few days, but as soon as I put a new one in I can smell the fuse box getting hot  :0 !

I don't think it is a short circuit, due to the way in which the fuses are failing.  They seem to get hot, then blow at random.  The heater fan runs smoothly without any momentary cut-outs or speed-ups.

Any ideas?

Thanks  :)

#1 - bad ground

#3 - Somewhere in your wiring, a wire is broken or good contact is not being made!

L8[/b][/quote]
id say its a short :)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Dec 15 2003, 12:02 PM
I'd say for what it costs to but a blower motor, i would just replace it.
why would you replace something you havent established is broken :confused:

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Dec 15 2003, 08:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Dec 15 2003, 08:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -1 LO [email protected] 14 2003, 09:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--M-827
@Dec 14 2003, 05:29 PM
Hello!

My Delta 88 has started blowing its heater fan fuses.  It is supposed to have a 20 amp fuse, but I could only get 25 amp, so have been using them instead.

The fuses last anything between an hour and a few days, but as soon as I put a new one in I can smell the fuse box getting hot  :0 !

I don't think it is a short circuit, due to the way in which the fuses are failing.  They seem to get hot, then blow at random.  The heater fan runs smoothly without any momentary cut-outs or speed-ups.

Any ideas?

Thanks  :)

#1 - bad ground

L8
id say its a short :)[/b][/quote]
yep...I agree!

:cool:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Dec 15 2003, 08:11 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Dec 15 2003, 08:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1@Dec 15 2003, 12:02 PM
why would you replace something you havent established is broken :confused:[/b][/quote]
It doesnt have to be broken. It could run fine but still be drawing to many amps. Usually if it is a short in the circuit then it wont get hot, it will just short and pop the fuse. If it is drawing too many amps thats when it will start getting hot, putting a bigger fuse in it wont help anything.

Putting a bigger fuse in it wont help anything. The circuit is designed to run on so many amps, if it is rated at 20 amps and you put a 35 amp in it and the wiring gets hot, then more than likely its not the wiring. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link in the system, if the fuse dont pop then you will burn your wiring up.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Use a 20 amp, that's what it came with. ;)

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1+Dec 15 2003, 12:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Dec 15 2003, 12:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 08:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1
@Dec 15 2003, 12:02 PM

It doesnt have to be broken. It could run fine but still be drawing to many amps. Usually if it is a short in the circuit then it wont get hot, it will just short and pop the fuse. If it is drawing too many amps thats when it will start getting hot, putting a bigger fuse in it wont help anything.

Putting a bigger fuse in it wont help anything. The circuit is designed to run on so many amps, if it is rated at 20 amps and you put a 35 amp in it and the wiring gets hot, then more than likely its not the wiring. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link in the system, if the fuse dont pop then you will burn your wiring up.[/b][/quote]
if its drawing too many amps, then its not working right, then its broken. to see how many amps its drawing, just put a ammeter in series were the fuse was and use the reading to determine further actions. :)

am i wrong?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Dec 15 2003, 03:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Dec 15 2003, 03:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 12:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1

Putting a bigger fuse in it wont help anything. The circuit is designed to run on so many amps, if it is rated at 20 amps and you put a 35 amp in it and the wiring gets hot, then more than likely its not the wiring. The fuse is supposed to be the weak link in the system, if the fuse dont pop then you will burn your wiring up.
if its drawing too many amps, then its not working right, then its broken. to see how many amps its drawing, just put a ammeter in series were the fuse was and use the reading to determine further actions. :)

am i wrong?[/b][/quote]
Broken to most people means it dont work at all. I agree you could find out how many amps it is drawing, unless it draws normal amps sometimes and sometimes it dont. But your right a good start would be to check how many amps it is drawing.

Or you could just spend the 15 bucks or so and replace the blower motor. That way you know the motor is good, and then if it is still blowing fuses you know that the problem lays somewhere else. Then at least your not sitting around questioning if the motor is bad. Not everyone has a Fluke sitting around, and blower motors are cheap.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1+Dec 15 2003, 07:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Dec 15 2003, 07:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 03:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1

am i wrong?
Not everyone has a Fluke sitting around, and blower motors are cheap.[/b][/quote]
they dont? :confused: Why not? :angry: those things kick ass :biggrin:

on another note, ive never taken out a blower motor. How difficult are they to take out?

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla+Dec 15 2003, 03:31 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Foompla @ Dec 15 2003, 03:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2003, 03:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--ALOW1

am i wrong?

Not everyone has a Fluke sitting around, and blower motors are cheap.
they dont? :confused: Why not? :angry: those things kick ass :biggrin:

on another note, ive never taken out a blower motor. How difficult are they to take out?[/b][/quote]
Well thats another issue. Most blower motors on cars are pretty easy to replace, but it depends on the vehicle. Most pre 85 style big body cars and stuff from the 70's and stuff you can change a blower motor in under 15 minutes. But new stuff, now thats all different.

As far as a Fluke goes, your right everyone should own one, they have thousands of uses. :cool:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your replies everyone :cheesy: !

I suspected that the fan was drawing too many amps, but I couldn't think what the problem might be to cause that and still have the motor operating smoothly. Even with the overheating smell coming from the fuse box the fan works well.

I put the higher rated 35 amp fuse in to see if it would blow that too, not in an attempt to 'cure' the problem!

I'll see if I can measure the current when it is running the fuse a bit too hot. I have had the latest fuse (25 amps) in for over a day now with no problems or overheating smells.

I'll check the earth connection. By the way, how could a poor earth (ground) cause it to overheat the fuse/make it draw too many amps?

It would be difficult for me to get a new fan motor because I am in the UK and my car is the only one of this model in the country :0 . I suspect that something else will fit, but I haven't been round the scrap yards yet. The motor is mounted on the bulkhead under the bonnet (hood) so is not difficult to get to.

Thanks again everyone :cheesy: .

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Dec 15 2003, 04:04 PM

I suspected that the fan was drawing too many amps, but I couldn't think what the problem might be to cause that and still have the motor operating smoothly. Even with the overheating smell coming from the fuse box the fan works well.

I put the higher rated 35 amp fuse in to see if it would blow that too, not in an attempt to 'cure' the problem!

I'll see if I can measure the current when it is running the fuse a bit too hot. I have had the latest fuse (25 amps) in for over a day now with no problems or overheating smells.

I'll check the earth connection. By the way, how could a poor earth (ground) cause it to overheat the fuse/make it draw too many amps?

It would be difficult for me to get a new fan motor because I am in the UK and my car is the only one of this model in the country :0 . I suspect that something else will fit, but I haven't been round the scrap yards yet. The motor is mounted on the bulkhead under the bonnet (hood) so is not difficult to get to.

I wouldnt suspect it to be a bad ground, the ground for the motor is usually it being screwed to the firewall (bulkhead).

What year is the car? Maybe one of us over here could get you a replacement?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Dec 15 2003, 08:04 PM

is everyone in england this nice?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ALOW1, the car is 1967 (see my cardomain.com link below!). Thanks for the offer to find me a motor - I'll let you know when mine blows up! Actually the problem seems to have calmed down at the moment. I'll still check all the wiring though.

Actually, if anyone reading this knows of any 1967 Delta 88s in any scrap yards I'd like to know about it - even if it is in America!

Foompla, :roflmao: !

Well, I'm not sure everyone over here is nice, but some of us are. A bit like Giles from Buffy the Vampire Slayer :roflmao: !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts