LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up yall!! need help witth trying to fit 16x7's Player wires in the skirts of a 93 Fleetwood. The rubber rubs the skirt, I'v tried 205/55/16 and 195/50/16, would a narrower and taller tire work or can I bulge out the skirts 1/4". I'v also ground down as much as I can off the inside of the skirts. Anyone have had this problem befor or any ideas

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
car and wheels are fwd ..........if you mean shortening the axl it seems like a lot of work........never done that before got any pics?..... is a customer's car but i'll try .....does'nt sound to hard
thanx

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
A 1993 Fleetwood is not FWD. And shortening the axle is harder than not that hard. You physically have to shorten the rearend and buy shorter axles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1993 Fleetwood Sixty Special is a fwd in 93 only similar to Sedan Deville not a Brougham.
How hard is it to shorten the rear axl on a fwd car.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Originally posted by the wheel dealer@Sep 12 2005, 10:48 AM~3798165
whats up yall!!  need help witth trying to fit 16x7's Player wires in the skirts of a 93 Fleetwood. The rubber rubs the skirt, I'v tried 205/55/16 and 195/50/16, would a narrower and taller tire work or can I bulge out the skirts 1/4". I'v also ground down as much as I can off the inside of the skirts. Anyone have had this problem befor or any ideas

i have a sedan d ville 94'
fwd car
fwd spokes
17" 100 spoke knock offs with 235/55/17 vogue
no cut no rub

i have pics if you want

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx 4 the pics looks sick, I like the vogues. This year (93) has removable shirts, the handle that unlocks the skirt is what 's rubbing the rubber. Do you think shortening the axl is an option.

·
Registered
787 Posts
of course it is an option

but timely and pricy

remove the fender skirts try to manipulate or fabricate a new handle that won't hit

do you have a pic of your car

also are you using a fwd spoke or standard offset

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a customers car I have it in tomorow so i can figure this out .......fwd car fwd offset
i'm guna try something with the handle and get some pics out there tomorow thanx

·
Registered
787 Posts
my guess

mine are og fwd 17x8

in theory one would think a 16x7 fwd will be easier to fit

but since yours are 16 " they are not tall enough so the tire hits the handle

i think a 17 or 18 inch wheel would raise the tire higher in the wheel well so that the tire being higher will not hit handle on the inside of skirt

you should be able to cut the length on the handle that removes skirt in half and then fabricate a new fastener to attach the handle to

otherwise get some 18x8 fwd for about $650 and some new vogue 235/50/18 for about $750

good luck

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i thought thats this was a forum to ask questions about this sorta stuff........ my mistake it's a sixty special........still fwd still got a problem......

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
UNLESS THEY ARE 'REAL' DAYTONS...THEY WILL RUB...THERE IS A LITTLE TRICK YOU CAN DO...TAKE OFF THE SKIRT....TAKE OFF THE CENTER ARM AND BRACKET...BEND THE HOOKS OUT ALITTLE...POP 2 OF THE PLASTIC CLIPS OFF (THAT HOLD THE RUBBER ON)..AND USE 2 SHEETMETAL SCREWS TO HOLD THE SKIRTS ON
ITS GONNA WORK FOR ME IF I DONT SCOOP UP SOME DAYTONS IT IS A POSSIBLITY THAT IT CAN WORK ON THE SKIRTS OF THE CADDY
IT WORK ON OLDeR CHEVS LIKE MINE ! :cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts