LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87' Mercury Cougar sitting on 15" chrome/gold wires, you can see pics at http://www.akacali.com/cougar/sale/cougar.html

The rims are true knock offs with sinister center caps and standard hubs. The problem I am having is the RWD rims having a huge offset so my rims and tires stick outside of the car. I don't have a problem with the 'look' so much as I have a problem with functionality. Due to the tires sticking out I rub my tires (mainly front) on the fenders. Recently paint start to chip off of the fender and the left fender even started to warp. I have tried different tires, rolled the inner lip of the fender, minor cutting, and even put Mustang Cobra springs on the car to stiffen the ride up. The mustang springs were not installed when the pics were taken. The car actually sits even lower now BUT the suspension is much stiffer. I still rub the tires if I add a passenger to the car, make any kind of big turns, or even hit bumps in the road.

I'm starting to think that the rims can't be used on my ride so I've been looking at FWD wires to change the offset of the rims. I figure the rims and tires will tuck under the fender rather than stick. I see a lot of places selling FWD rims but they always state that you must have a FWD drive car. Is this true? I already have center caps and hubs installed, why can't I just throw a FWD knock-off on? I know there are many others out there who run into the tire rubbing problem, was anyone successful in fixing this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like thirteens is the way to go! I got the fifteens for a good deal but I have no problem going smaller. The car should still look nice. I just hate rubbing. I just wrapped two of the 15's with new rubber so maybe they will sell easier.

You guys know of a good spot to get chrome 13's with gold wires? I don't need the hubs or caps; just the rims, and maybe a new hammer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you wanna do it right go to daytonwirewheels.com you can buy 13x7 reverse wires for the lowest price. real daytons with serial numbers. says they are factory seconds, but they are just overstocked, i bot sum too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday someone mentioned to me that I could keep 15's on the car but I would need to buy standard rims NOT reversed like I currently have. I guess the standard style would tuck the rims back under the fender. This would help me keep my current tires I would think. Looks like I have a lot to choices now.

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
the rims still stick out...

I can't really tell what the size of the tires are but I would bet that they are around 205-215/65r15

Thats not really that big.

the oem on that car for 15's is 225/60r15

I would bet that if he got the fwd rims it wouldn't be rubbing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would bet that if he got the fwd rims it wouldn't be rubbing.
Since they stick out so little, that means your car needs a zero offset, so you could get standards and they would fit just fine. If you get FWD as suggested above they would sit FAR into the wheel well and it would look nasty, plus you really do have to have a FWD car to get FWD wires. If you were to get FWD wires you would need spacers for them to fit,even then its NOT a good idea, and then they would just sit where standards would in the first place.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
if you want to sell those 15s hit me up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts