LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 81 coupe deville. I have no idea what happened to the gas gauge. It stays reading as "full." I am a little nervous because I have to drive it to work for a couple days, and I don't want to be stuck "misjudging" how much gas I have in there. Can anyone help me out please?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
i used to know how to do this :(

i know how to do this i just cant explain it. You have to bypass the sending unit at the harness to the gas tank to test the fuel gauge.

If someone would divulge further on my ignorance that would be nice, wouldnt it?

Last edited by Foompla at Oct 9 2003, 08:54 PM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by GodzCreationz77@Oct 9 2003, 08:44 AM
I have an 81 coupe deville.  I have no idea what happened to the gas gauge.  It stays reading as "full."  I am a little nervous because I have to drive it to work for a couple days, and I don't want to be stuck "misjudging" how much gas I have in there.   Can anyone help me out please?
disconnect your gas gauge wire at the sending unit,once you do that your gage should go empty,than ground the wire to your frame it should go to full,that just proves that your fuel gage is good.if it does your sending unit is bad or your gas gage wire is pinched to ground somewhere.
paul

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by GodzCreationz77@Oct 10 2003, 08:08 PM
if it DOES my sending unit is bad, or if it DOESN'T?
Do you think it has anything to do with the "floater" being stuck
at a certain point in the gas tank?
if the gauge goes from full to empty, that means that its not the guage :).. time to drop the tank?

·
Registered
378 Posts
i had this prob before, i droped my tank and found that the wires goin to the tank had some how gotten pinched and one was broke apart. i repaired the wire and turn the key forward. it was reading half a tank. it work now. just try a process of elimination. trace all wires and inspect. then go from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts