LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 71 b-body (pontiac catalina) the gas guage did not work. I have replaced the entire dash cluster and all gauges. Gas guage on new cluster does not work either- needle all the way up past the "full" line, never moves.

Based on the above, I am assuming that there is a float or something in the actual gas tank that is missing or out of alignement. Am I right?

Anybody have thoughts on how to fix this?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Originally posted by dannysnty@Jul 26 2005, 06:32 PM
their is a floter in the gas tank take youre gas tank down and see if its there or stuck.i had the same problem and all it was it was stuck.
[snapback]3485674[/snapback]​

whats involved in taking it out? Mine say 3/4 full when its full and 1/4 when its half full...

·
Registered
240 Posts
dropping the tank, disconnecting the fuel and line remove metal ring pop out sending unit.... Just make sure the tank is not full of gas or it will be a pain in the ass... I did my caddy about a few months ago and it took my about an hour...

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Now the gauge doesnt owrk on my Monte either.....stays full also....I was just going to switch out the whole tank...sending unit and all...BUT I was changing the bumoershock the other day and saw a black wire....wiht a screw in a loop head...looks like it was grounded to somewhere but it was rusted off its intial mounting area (where ever that was)...could this be the ground for the sending unit?......It seems to be coming from some where on top of the tank.
Thanks again guys..................Ro

·
Registered
240 Posts
Originally posted by Roma@Jul 30 2005, 11:57 PM
Now the gauge doesnt owrk on my Monte either.....stays full also....I was just going to switch out the whole tank...sending unit and all...BUT I was changing the bumoershock the other day and saw a black wire....wiht a screw in a loop head...looks like it was grounded to somewhere but it was rusted off its intial mounting area (where ever that was)...could this be the ground for the sending unit?......It seems to be coming from some where on top of the tank.
[snapback]3513075[/snapback]​

yeah that could be the grounding wire for the sending unit....

·
Registered
625 Posts
the ground wire for my monte is right next to the gas tank strap on the drivers side. those gm senders are notorious, most of the time for reading wrong. they are just reading the ohms sent to the gauge so if your ground aint good neither is your reading.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Originally posted by vangoghthecat@Jul 26 2005, 08:01 PM~3485450
When I purchased my 71 b-body (pontiac catalina) the gas guage did not work. I have replaced the entire dash cluster and all gauges.  Gas guage on new cluster does not work either- needle all the way up past the "full" line, never moves.

Based on the above, I am assuming that there is a float or something in the actual gas tank that is missing or out of alignement.  Am I right? 

Anybody have thoughts on how to fix this?
Probably.... my '55 did the same thing and it was the ground. It reads full because its not grounded.

Originally posted by pink63impala+Jul 27 2005, 12:13 PM~3489648-->
CHECK FOR A GOOD GROUND ON YOUR SENDING UNIT ALSO ;)
[/b]
:thumbsup:

<!--QuoteBegin-Roma
@Jul 31 2005, 12:57 AM~3513075
DEFINATELY the wire you are talking about. I forgot to put the wire back on after I dropped my tank while doing my setup in my cutlass. Gauge worked fine for like 2 months and then it read full for a couple days and I ran out of gas while it said I had a half a tank. I got under the car and screwed it back in and it worked perfectly. I'm a lazy ass. Just screw it into the frame somewhere and make sure it is clean metal.

Rob

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
[attachmentid=235213]

I found this pic...
This was right after I did my chains for my chainbridge I took this pic with the wire hanging. Like I said i'm lazy as fuck. I coulda just took a minute and a half to screw it back in and I wouldn't have ran outta gas. Ohh well

Rob

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts