LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to do shaved door handles and install door poppers on a gbody, and what weight poppers would be good?? :cheesy:

·
Registered
108 Posts
sheet metal & torch & know how to weld. Ive asked a similar question about whats the average for shaved doors & 125 a door was the average w/o poppers & you can find a popper set for about 300. :cool:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
not hard we did it on supafly in the Ky car. welded up the handles and 80 lbs solenoids. Airbagit has a kit with remotes for 75.00 works great

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
g body latches pull really easy, they can be pulled with a 15lbs solenoid. But if you keep the inside door handle it has to move that as well so then you need some more power. Plus if you want it to be reliable you need to go with atleast a 35lbs. Spal makes a good kit. Ive installed these on g bodys and other cars, theyve lasted on a daily for 7+ years now.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SPAL-SHAVED-...Y-KIT,2425.html

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Spall in an S10 I did 4 years ago and still thunk like a mofo. The only problem was the poppers them selves, got em on ebay and the rusted and need lubed every so often. The Spall electronics are simple and solid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COO! ALL GOOD INFO GUYS! I HEARD U CAN DO BODY FILLER WHERE THE HANDLES USED TO BE AND BONDO IT EVEN INSTEAD OF WELDING. GOOD TO DO OR NOT??

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
NO!!!! Don't just mud over where the handles and locks are. You need to weld some metal in there, but be carefull not to warp it up by taking your time. If you simply bondo over it - it WILL fail on you. Good luck....... :cool:

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
what a fucken coincidence my passanger side just went out. thats the one i hardluy use :angry:

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS+Nov 19 2008, 06:35 PM~12204300-->
g body latches pull really easy, they can be pulled with a 15lbs solenoid.  But if you keep the inside door handle it has to move that as well so then you need some more power.  Plus if you want it to be reliable you need to go with atleast a 35lbs.  Spal makes a good kit.  Ive installed these on g bodys and other cars, theyve lasted on a daily for 7+ years now.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SPAL-SHAVED-...Y-KIT,2425.html
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Airborne
@Nov 19 2008, 06:48 PM~12204426
Spall in an S10 I did 4 years ago and still thunk like a mofo. The only problem was the poppers them selves, got em on ebay and the rusted and need lubed every so often. The Spall electronics are simple and solid.
all of the components i have looks similar to spall. might be spall but dont know. the only thing that does'nt look the same is the popper.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by STR8RIDA@Nov 19 2008, 08:00 PM~12205650
NO!!!! Don't just mud over where the handles and locks are. You need to weld some metal in there, but be carefull not to warp it up by taking your time. If you simply bondo over it - it WILL fail on you. Good luck....... :cool:
coo so im better off taking it to da shop for this then?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
If you can find a friend or someone that can weld it for you. If not yeah I would take it to a shop. At least have them do the parts you aren't comfortable doing yourself. When it comes to putting in the solenoids/poppers to open the door that stuff is pretty straight forward and easy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i plan on doing most of da shit myself, interior, all da custom work, only thing dats going to da shop is frame wrap, and paint job w/ pinstriping. everything else i wanna do myself...or at least try to. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Like they said be careful when welding, sheet metal can warp. Tell them not to run a bead around the metal filler piece, just tack it in, sand/grind down the welds and use filler. The less filler you use the better because after you spend money to put paint on you dont want filler shifting and causing a crack in the paint! If the body is curved, make the filler piece curved to follow it, remember, less filler is better!

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 20 2008, 05:38 PM~12212370
Like they said be careful when welding, sheet metal can warp.  Tell them not to run a bead around the metal filler piece, just tack it in, sand/grind down the welds and use filler.  The less filler you use the better because after you spend money to put paint on you dont want filler shifting and causing a crack in the paint!  If the body is curved, make the filler piece curved to follow it, remember, less filler is better!
x2, if it gets warped you will be doing this to your doors

not fun to fix. DONT WARP YOUR DOORS :yessad:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by KAKALAK@Nov 21 2008, 10:40 AM~12220780

DAMN DAT LOOKS LIKE MECHANICAL ACCUPUNCTURE...LOL
BUT NOT FUN AT ALL :uh:

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Originally posted by KAKALAK@Nov 21 2008, 10:40 AM~12220780

DAMN.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
ITS EASY AS BEERSHITS I DONT EVEN DO BODY WORK AND ME AND MY BROTHER DID MINE~!KEY IS USIN A BLOCK TO MAKE SURE ITS FLAT~OHH YEAH MY POPER WAS LIKE 60$ ALREADY HAD AN ALARM SO JUS WIRED IT TO THAT~DID THE TRUNK TOO~

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 21 2008, 06:20 PM~12223251
cmon, just slap some bondo in there, its body filler aint it??  :biggrin:
remind me to not let you work on my car :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts