LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the paint is really bad as you can see from the pics. the hood is covered in sap and then you can see the patches where someone has already done some body work. my #1 goal for this car is to get the exterior looking clean. this is my first project car, and im trying to do it right.

im lookin on advice, from simple to complicated, for how id go about sanding this done. by hand, power, what sand paper, what are the steps, how much im looking to spend... all of it. heres the pics:

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
no way in hell your gonna sand that by hand. Looks like it needs to be stripped down to the metal or almost. I know my coupe had to be. Get a D.A. and and air compressor and a roll of 80 grit paper. Get all the old paint off and finish up with 180 and prime it.

THEN you can get a block and 400 and wetsand if u want

Thats how i would do it

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by Kartoon@Oct 29 2003, 09:36 PM
so your saying i could do this all by hand right?
i have more time than anything so its not like i have a time limit
lol , yer man do it by hand , thats how most people do it , i think but just get a decient coarse sand paper and take ya time and do push to hard and it should be easy

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Be careful not to get the metal too hot and warp the body!! ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by Big Doe@Oct 29 2003, 07:14 PM
no way in hell your gonna sand that by hand. Looks like it needs to be stripped down to the metal or almost. I know my coupe had to be. Get a D.A. and and air compressor and a roll of 80 grit paper. Get all the old paint off and finish up with 180 and prime it.

THEN you can get a block and 400 and wetsand if u want

Thats how i would do it
thats the only way to do it, that paint is old and will never hand sand off, u might even have to some paint stripper or a 8 inch grinding wheel with a pad on it that u can put 8 inch 80 grit peices of paper on. lol if u sand it by hand your arms will fall off before the paint will come off ;)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Originally posted by 64_impalas+Oct 30 2003, 12:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (64_impalas @ Oct 30 2003, 12:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Kartoon@Oct 29 2003, 09:36 PM
so your saying i could do this all by hand right?
i have more time than anything so its not like i have a time limit
lol , yer man do it by hand , thats how most people do it , i think but just get a decient coarse sand paper and take ya time and do push to hard and it should be easy[/b][/quote]
for your prep work after you prime .. but first you will need to stip that to metal .. you will need to power sand that and you could try a good chemical wash first to get it clean ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just get a couple cans of paint stripper for the sap, and maybe door jambs exc....

Then get a D/A w/ a 6" sanding pad and have at it w/ 80 grit.
I'm in the midst of doing my 64 Impala...and all this has worked out great...You could get that car sanded in little over a week if you had a full week w/ no interruptions.

Have at it man...Good Luck!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by bigpat1802@Oct 31 2003, 08:55 AM
Just get a couple cans of paint stripper for the sap, and maybe door jambs exc....

Then get a D/A w/ a 6" sanding pad and have at it w/ 80 grit.
I'm in the midst of doing my 64 Impala...and all this has worked out great...You could get that car sanded in little over a week if you had a full week w/ no interruptions.

Have at it man...Good Luck!
the paint stripper is a definite must have for that car, as for the D/A (dual action sander) that would be perfect aslong as u have a good air compressor (15cfm or higher) if not then i have used a black and decker orbital sander in cases where i did not have compressed air, it's noisy as fuck but it still works great, just watch u dont heat up the metal since the speed is not adjustable on it, move around alot with it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts